How Long is the Blackguard Shirt?

ifoz
Go to solution Solved by LadyWYT,

I know this is a bit of an odd question, but how long is the Blackguard shirt supposed to be?
I've been meaning to try my hand at drawing a Blackguard character of mine, but a problem quickly arose.
How do you guys think the shirt would look?

From the front and back, it looks like it goes down nearly to the knees, but then from the sides it only goes to the waist and then abruptly cuts off, possibly a bug or an oversight.
The fact that the draping parts at the front and back do not move with the legs (looks a little odd) makes me think that they may be drapery rather than the full length of the shirt, though again, this could be an oversight.

What does everyone think about this? :)

• Solution
5 hours ago, ifoz said:

I know this is a bit of an odd question, but how long is the Blackguard shirt supposed to be?

On the in-game model, the shirt seems to be a loose-fitting tunic style that comes down to the knees and is possibly split on the sides on the lower half.

5 hours ago, ifoz said:

From the front and back, it looks like it goes down nearly to the knees, but then from the sides it only goes to the waist and then abruptly cuts off, possibly a bug or an oversight.

I think it's a deliberate style choice. The utility of the design is likely for better freedom of movement(possibly for riding horseback), although in that case you typically see the split in the front/back, and not so much the sides.

5 hours ago, ifoz said:

What does everyone think about this? :)

I think it really depends on what your character's personality is and how you want to depict them. Overall, from the in-game appearance of the Blackguard attire, I get the impression that Blackguards have either been through worse than other survivor classes(which is very possible, given their profession), or that they don't really care about personal appearance and thus look more ragged as a result. Perhaps it's a combination of both.

In any case, if your character is of a similar mindset, perhaps they too look a bit rough around the edges. Or perhaps they're a neat freak and prefer to keep the shirt tucked in at the waist. They could be incredibly vain and have an embroidered shirt in good condition. It's also possible that perhaps they prefer a neat appearance, but have been through a lot of dangerous situations of late and haven't been able to properly maintain their attire. The options you pick for presentation tell the character's story.

One thing I will note though is that if the character is wearing chainmail or similar armor, you'll want to leave the shirt untucked similar to what's portrayed in the game. Reason being that you'll want to keep the armor from chafing or catching on other articles of clothing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, LadyWYT said:

I think it's a deliberate style choice. The utility of the design is likely for better freedom of movement(possibly for riding horseback), although in that case you typically see the split in the front/back, and not so much the sides.

Right! I was thinking that if it was knee-length on all sides that it could possible hinder movement, since considering that it's the uniform of a soldier, movement would be pretty important.

11 hours ago, LadyWYT said:

I think it really depends on what your character's personality is and how you want to depict them. Overall, from the in-game appearance of the Blackguard attire, I get the impression that Blackguards have either been through worse than other survivor classes(which is very possible, given their profession), or that they don't really care about personal appearance and thus look more ragged as a result. Perhaps it's a combination of both.

In any case, if your character is of a similar mindset, perhaps they too look a bit rough around the edges. Or perhaps they're a neat freak and prefer to keep the shirt tucked in at the waist. They could be incredibly vain and have an embroidered shirt in good condition. It's also possible that perhaps they prefer a neat appearance, but have been through a lot of dangerous situations of late and haven't been able to properly maintain their attire. The options you pick for presentation tell the character's story.

One thing I will note though is that if the character is wearing chainmail or similar armor, you'll want to leave the shirt untucked similar to what's portrayed in the game. Reason being that you'll want to keep the armor from chafing or catching on other articles of clothing.

Thanks for your advice!! :D
I think I'll depict the shirt as being split at the sides and tattered like it is in-game, since my character has already been through quite a lot as this is a modded playthrough. 😅
(Looking at you, surface ruins with sawblade locusts!)

Honestly I wish the untucked parts of the shirt showed on the character's legs in-game when moving, as they currently just clip through. Though, I heard something about how dynamic clothing like animated capes might be coming soon, so maybe that could be an opportunity to fix this!

Edited by ifoz
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, ifoz said:

Right! I was thinking that if it was knee-length on all sides that it could possible hinder movement, since considering that it's the uniform of a soldier, movement would be pretty important.

It doesn't hinder movement as much as you might think, although it depends a lot on how it's made. A lot of medieval fashion for men consists of knee-length(or shorter) tunics. The length can also serve as an indicator of the individual's wealth as well; more cloth means more money and vice versa. Now of course, you could easily have a tunic that deliberately hinders movement! 😁 Wealthy individuals would often have clothing designed to be impractical as a way of showing that they were wealthy enough to not need to work. It's how the really pointy shoes, high heels, and other strange fashion choices came to be so popular.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.