an idea for the blacksmith

MaryBo1968

Hi!

The game is near by reality and that is what I like so much

but forge things is not so real. It's very wasteful to forge some tools.

I think in the middle age where resources are rare and precious

the people have remains collected and use for other projects.

For example: to forge a scissor it will not use one Ingot without any rest of the ingot.

The Blacksmithwould collect the rest and use it later for other things.

An ingot needs 20 nugetts of copper or something else.

Maybe after hammer out the scissor ( for example ) few nugetts get back in the inventory

and can be use for other projects.

As the saying goes, "there's a mod for that" 😛

This is not as easy a feature to add as you think it is, though, because it has potential to seriously break the game in unintended ways.

For example: the chainmail blueprint on the anvil costs 2 ingots. You can re-smelt the resulting product and get 2 ingots back. Due to the shape of the recipe, you also have to chip off a moderate amount of excess, and there is no way to avoid that. So what happens if you forge a chainmail sheet, and then re-smelt it? You just got your investment back, but now you also have the extra that you shaved off.

Boom, infinite metal exploit.

In order to avoid that kind of thing, you'd have to explicitly disallow re-smelting of anything that can be made on an anvil - but, being allowed to re-smelt tool heads is also a popular suggestion/feature request, and there's also a mod for that. No matter which way you turn it, someone's going to be unhappy.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about this myself, I believe a good way of implementing it would be to do something similar to the napping system. While napping, you can separate and break off excess stone. Do the same thing with smiting, but have the broken off piece drop as it is, as a separate metal scrap piece. In this way, you won't lose as much metal. It also adds a bit more reward to skilled smiting; instead of just cutting away each individual voxel from the work piece, you can move the excess to the side and cut only what's needed to break off the excess to be saved. This would also prevent any exploits for infinite metal.

Edited by EnigmaticWonder
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Streetwind said:

This is not as easy a feature to add as you think it is, though, because it has potential to seriously break the game in unintended ways.

For example: the chainmail blueprint on the anvil costs 2 ingots. You can re-smelt the resulting product and get 2 ingots back. Due to the shape of the recipe, you also have to chip off a moderate amount of excess, and there is no way to avoid that. So what happens if you forge a chainmail sheet, and then re-smelt it? You just got your investment back, but now you also have the extra that you shaved off.

Boom, infinite metal exploit.

In order to avoid that kind of thing, you'd have to explicitly disallow re-smelting of anything that can be made on an anvil - but, being allowed to re-smelt tool heads is also a popular suggestion/feature request, and there's also a mod for that. No matter which way you turn it, someone's going to be unhappy.

The solution to this would be to allocate the recipes in terms of units of metal, rather than in ingots. If each ingot is 20 voxels, each voxel is 5 units of metal. A plate, for example, uses 2 ingots, minus three voxels, so when re-smelted, would return 185 units of molten metal.

I like that idea.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work out quite so well in practice. I just checked ingame, and each ingot is 7x3x2 = 42 voxels. That doesn't neatly share common denominators with 100.

One plate, then, takes up 42 x2 -3 = 81 voxels. Makes sense, that's a 9x9 square.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.