RaceNinja Posted September 25 Report Posted September 25 (edited) Imagine a table that can be raised and lowered to any height, and rotated 90 degrees with the click of a button. It would be incredibly useful for pottery, as certain forms can vary wildly in height. And rotation would be great for getting at the back of things. Please Tyron, I need this. Edited September 25 by RaceNinja
Rainbow Fresh Posted September 25 Report Posted September 25 I am trying to imagine that but fail to see any real application, let alone implementation for this? You make pottery bottom up, finished layer by finished layer anyway. So you see all sides from the top while making it. Seeing as the Seraph is two blocks tall and a single pottery item cannot (afaik) exceed a single block in height you will always be able to look from the top and if you need to get closer, press G and sit down.
RaceNinja Posted September 25 Author Report Posted September 25 9 minutes ago, Rainbow Fresh said: I am trying to imagine that but fail to see any real application, let alone implementation for this? You make pottery bottom up, finished layer by finished layer anyway. So you see all sides from the top while making it. Seeing as the Seraph is two blocks tall and a single pottery item cannot (afaik) exceed a single block in height you will always be able to look from the top and if you need to get closer, press G and sit down. It might just be because I play at 120 fov, but I find it difficult to a comfortable angle most of the time lol
Rainbow Fresh Posted September 25 Report Posted September 25 2 minutes ago, RaceNinja said: It might just be because I play at 120 fov, but I find it difficult to a comfortable angle most of the time lol I guess zooming out and around like that could make things awkward, yes - but also I don't think we need some funky contraption like this to combat people willingly choosing non-standard FOV settings.
River Oak Posted September 25 Report Posted September 25 This has me wondering how might a potter's wheel be incorporated into the game? I can't really think of a way.
MKMoose Posted September 25 Report Posted September 25 I could see a pottery wheel, powered manually or possibly with mechanical power, as a way to simplify and speed up clayforming. The easiest way to implement a pottery wheel would be to just abstract away aiming at individual voxels and say that the pottery wheel automatically forms whatever shape is needed, not unlike the Simple Pottery Wheel mod. This has two potential problems: it is just better over regular clayforming in every respect and takes the brain almost completely out of the process, it works for every form, which doesn't really make sense given that a pottery wheel is only reasonably usable for simple objects symmetrical around a central axis - but a restriction would also mean that items which can't be made on the pottery wheel would have to be done with regular clayforming from scratch regardless of whether they are completely unsuitable or just deviate by a couple voxels. Another alternative is letting the player place full rings of clay voxels around the center of rotation while using the pottery wheel. Placing such a ring could normally be restricted to placing directly on a ring which exists on the previous layer, requiring then to push the ring outwards or inwards in some way. This could tolerate minor irregularities to allow the player to build most of the shape first and then clean up or add a couple extra voxels when needed - though it would certainly require some changes to the way clayforming works under the hood. 1
Recommended Posts