Reduce limitations on chiseled blocks

Feone Varen

Chiseled blocks don't allow attaching certain objects (like chandeliers, ladders), and they're not valid for greenhouses.

I think they should be valid, they enable some really awesome aestethics and are a great creative aspect of this game but these restrictions cause some really annoying limits making some parts of the builds look out of place to accomodate them. Additionally not being able to attach things to a block that, visually, looks like it would attach just fine is very unintuitive. The same goes for greenhouses breaking.

I'm assuming there are some abusable edgecases (like floating attachments or weird mob pathing?), I don't believe in limiting player options in a (at the moment mostly) singleplayer game because a subset of players might abuse this in minor ways, especially not if blocking these situations creates unintuitive and limiting behavior for the rest of us. 

On top of that chiseled blocks exchange extra effort for (potentially) nicer looks and more creative freedom, making weird abusy setups is the exact opposite of what draws the kind of people who spend time on chiseling things to perfection.

Please let me know if my assumption here is all wrong and there's some serious problems with enabling it.

Edited by Feone Varen

There are actually a variety of items that can attach to chiseled blocks, it usually simply requires that the face to be attached to be entirely or mostly complete, but the rest can be chiseled as desired.  Over the months Tyron has refined it quite a bit from what it once was, which was very limited.  Chandeliers might be an overlooked exception.  Not sure what the official position on greenhouses is.  

I suppose my point is to just remove that kind of restrictions entirely for now, chiseled blocks are at least as much work as using a regular block so there's no gameplay advantage in doing it. It allows more creative freedom and the worst case is some sort-of-floating stuff if someone really wants to have them.

The overal improvements on chiseled blocks are defintely nice, allowing to mix them fixed one of their biggest weaknesses, I'm enjoying the additional detail I can add to my builds with them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.