Barricades

Ultimuh

I think pointy barricades made of bamboo (and other kinds of wood) would be a decent defense against the horrors of the night.

Maybe even make them of spears once you get to that tier, for a slight damage boost.

Just an idea I had after one too many encounters of the creatures whom appear at night.

If I might add to the 'base defenses' suggestion, I'd suggest the player be able to make punji stakes, put them at the bottom of pits, and have them do a pretty good amount of damage (or continuous damage?).  Ideally this would be coupled with improved mob AI so they will avoid falling into the pit unless the player has covered the pit with a thatch screen, made of 5 grass and 4 sticks in a brick pattern.  Then the mob will try to walk on the screen and fall in.  These screens are destroyed any time a mob falls through them.  They can also be used to make primitive 'lean-to' type roofs (though obviously not walkable).  The stakes could have durability and eventually wear out.  Crafted with 7 sticks in a U shape, or 3 bamboo at lower left, center, and lower right.  Maybe toss some clay in there if you want.

All fun ideas.  The suggestion of mobs not falling into the hole unless its camouflaged is a brilliant one!  I like the idea of having the screens be one time use only.  But would that negate the need to have durability on the spikes?  I think having to replace the screens after every use is sort of grindy enough.  Unless the limited durability wooden spikes could be replaced with unlimited durability metal steaks or something.   I don't know.  Don't want to spend my whole day replacing barracades when there are so many other things to do in my limited day time hours.

edit: These suggestions will eventually lead to mob farming if hopper like blocks are ever added.  What are the developers thoughts on automation and item farming?  Some games encourage it and some games try to prevent it.

25 minutes ago, DMKW said:

edit: These suggestions will eventually lead to mob farming if hopper like blocks are ever added.  What are the developers thoughts on automation and item farming?  Some games encourage it and some games try to prevent it.

Mob farming can be prevented, if mobs killed in this manner doesn't drop any items.

Archived