Get hay from grains

Jaroslav Šváha

Since I've started to care for my sheeps, I've been in a constant need of dry grass, so it got me thinking how this is handled in real life.
Then I realised that it seems pretty silly that you only get seeds and grains from harvesting rye etc. since those only make up about 5 - 10% of the plant. The rest is then dried and used to feed the livestock, and I believe that it should be the same in VS.

My proposal is that you should get about 2-4 dry grass from harvesting any grains, that you can then use to feed your animals.
Or better yet, get fresh hay, that you then need to dry for a few days to get dry hay, which can be used in place of dry grass, but being more nutritious for animals, for example only needing 16 units to fill a large trough.

The drying could be really easy too, you just put 6 fresh hay together to make a haystack, then place it anywhere (probably under a roof so it doesn't get wet and mouldy) and after a few days, you got dry haystack.

• Like 1
  • Amazing! 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A quick google search says straw can be used for animal feed, though they're not as good as things like hay, and generally require a supplement of better feed to make up for the nutrients it lacks.

Either way, I think alternate ways to obtain animal feed wouldn't be bad, though I can't really say for certain since I haven't quite gotten around to raising animals myself.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.