How long does winter last?

Sgt.doRmaR

I am trying to find out how long winter is supposed to last so I will know if my game is broken or not.  Winter began for me around September and is now into late February and still going strong.  I figured 3-4 months for winter tops but it has been about 6 months now.  I thought we had the normal number of seasons but maybe I am mistaken and all we have is summer and winter.  Is winter supposed to last half of an in-game year or is this an issue with my game?  Also, in case it matters to the subject I do have harsh winters active.  I wouldn't mind the long winter so much except that the greenhouse I built shows the greenhouse effect bonus yet for 2 months my crops haven't progressed at all and my supplies are starting to dwindle.

Every season is three months.

But note that, just in real life, low temperatures and snowfall aren't limited to winter. Antarctica posts double digit negatives in what counts as summer down there, for example (and yes, winter is a lot worse still).

Which means: you have settled too close to the poles. If you want less snow and warmer temperatures, you'll have to pack your stuff and move towards the equator. Under default settings, that generally means moving south, as the game typically spawns you somewhere between north pole and equator.

(Sidenote: in the context of Vintage Story, the world is obviously not round, and the poles are not points. They are zones. North and south means changes in climate; east and west change nothing at all. The pole has the same shape as the equator, if you will. And yes, if you cross the pole and continue north, it'll get warmer again and you'll approach another equator...)

As for the greenhouse, it currently only gives a +5°C bonus. If it gets cold enough, that won't be enough to make a difference.

Edited by Streetwind

My current situation:

1350 blocks east by 1450 blocks south (from 0,XX,0)

Average temperature during Summer period 30-40C

Rainfall - Very Common

By my current settings the polar equator is set at 100k blocks.  Does this mean the equator is 100k blocks north or south, 50k blocks north x 50k blocks south, or that 0,XX,0 is the equator?  Trying to understand how the temperature is so high during the Summer months but Winter seems to persist for an extended period.  I am also roughly 135 blocks above what I am assuming is Sea Level.  I am still in my first year since downloading Vintage Story so excuse my noobedness lol.  Just wanting to figure out if I need to relocate a few (IRL) hours south or not which would really stink but what can ya do.

P.S.  As to the greenhouse situation: Before building a greenhouse I had a few crops still growing out in the open as winter set in and their growth was stunted by 50% due to the cold snap but they would still progress at a slower rate.  As of now it has been 2 in-game months with the average temperature inside the greenhouse (with bonus) being right at the minimum temperature or above though they have been reduced to a 75% yield and yet they have not progressed past stage 1/7 and 1/8 respectively.  I have built a water block in the center and have also been watering them manually to keep around 70-100% moisture.  The roof is entirely clear glass and the soil is fertilized terapretia (? on the spelling) with 5 blocks between soil level and ceiling level and a growth rate of 110% for all crop types.  I have however noticed sometimes when I load the game some of the blocks seem to lose the greenhouse effect despite still being enclosed.  Perhaps this has something to do with the lack of progression?

Unsure about the greenhouse. I've not played with it myself, so I can't say if it works correctly or not.

The pole-equator distance is the number of blocks between an equator and a pole. Your world spawn will be somewhere in between them. This varies from world to world, and what spawn region/climate you selected during world creation.

And, 135 blocks above sea level? Are you sure? That would be very high up. Sea level is at 110 in a default 256-block world height, and at 140 in a 320-block world height. In both cases, being 135 blocks above that would put you near the absolute ceiling of the world, on the tallest mountains. I think you just mean that you are at a y-level of 135... right?

1350, 135, 1450 is roughly where im based at right now.  When I first spawned in I was around 500, 125, -825 and my world height is set at 256 blocks for the middle value that's why I thought it was sea level.  I am about 850 blocks east and 2300 blocks south of where I spawned which should put me near the equator (?) as I was in Negative (North) and now in positive (South) so if 100k blocks is the distance from the equator to the poles this should be correct.  I also didn't notice the world customization option when I created the world so everything is default as far as spawn region/climate.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.