Cold and icy biome start is unviable

caffeine9999

When you start a fresh world in a cold or icy biome a couple of problems appear immediately:

1) no surface stone. Really, I tried at least 10 fresh starts and maybe one or two times there were some surface rocks. Most of the time there are no stone -> not able to make even simplest tools -> death from cold and starvation. I found some obsidian once, but it didn't help because of

2) no grass -> no fire -> death from cold and starvation

The only option is to quicky run to a more hospitable biome which kinda defeats the purpose.

Now, I'm not complaining about the harsh start and things like cold damage, inability to do farming, difficulties with initial food, lack of cattails etc. It's totally expected to be harsh. But the lack of that basic resources looks like a lack of balance to me. There is basically no reason to choose cold or icy biome as a starting option.

Edited by caffeine9999

• caffeine9999 changed the title to Cold and icy biome start is unviable

I wager that it was added mostly so that all possible options are present, for now. Large areas of the game are unfinished, and it's entirely possible that the world generation of the polar biomes will be improved at a later date.

But, since you posted this in suggestions: what is your suggestion here? Or did you mean to post elsewhere?

My suggestion is, well, make it playable?

Actually there are a lot more unbalanced things there, e.g. there are lots of polar foxes in icy biomes but almost no life in cool biomes -> no means to get food.

I assume a cool/icy start would be fun and challenging for more experienced players, more survival-focused.

I believe they've mentioned expanding content for different biome temperatures (e.g. most berries are temperate, they would add more for hot/cold), but I can't definitively say anything about the stones/grass problem. Would personally love extreme-biome survivability at some point as well, though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.