Mechanical power tutorial/guide?

Hovdavic

I have been using one windmill to power a helvehammer and it works seamlessly, and I have successfully operated a pulverizer with wind power. What I don't have a clue about is how to implement a large gear, clutch, transmission, etc. using multiple windmills to get more speed or torque, or power more than one tool. Has anyone made a guide or tutorial for using these things? I have looked at the wiki, but I want something a little more step-by-step with practical examples of creating functional setups. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Not sure about multiple windmills, but this is how I connected a pulverizer and a quern to one windmill, and maybe this helps you or someone else a little.

In the first picture you can see the large gear on the ground connected to the back with angled gears, two axles (that connection can be a little tricky, so add the angled gears to the large gear and the axle to the block next to it before you connect them with the axle in the middle, or attach the axle in the middle to a block on the top or one of the sides; otherwise it might give you the error message that the axle has to be connected to a block), a brake (to be able to stop the sails) and then leading outside to the windmill rotor with axles. In the front, the large gear is connected to axles with angled gears in two spots, and more angled gears and axles lead to the floor underneath with the quern and pulverizer, that you can see in the second pic from the same angle.

In the third pic you can see the axles leading down on the side of a pillar, angled gears connecting them to a transmission and a clutch behind it to be able to disconnect it - because you don't want the noise of the pulverizer if you don't use it and the wind might not be strong enough to power two devices - and then I added another axle to connect that to the pulverizer, but that was just to get the pulverizer to a different position. In the fourth pic it's the same, just that the transmission is directly connected to angled gears and then the quern.

You could build all on the same level and more compact and connect the devices pretty much directly to the sides of the large gear and lose less power that way, but those weren't my priorities this time in that world.

Okay, well... now I had to try that and reduce all of the above to the minimum and that's what you can see in the last picture. :D

sails - rotor - brake - angled gears - large gear - angled gears - transmission + clutch - pulverizer/angled gears+quern

windmill01.jpg

windmill02.jpg

windmill03.jpg

• Like 1

There are multiple videos in youtube regarding this topic, some better than the others. I personally find the Julius van Vern's ones most informative, though my German is very rudimental at best.

The large gear acts as a power hub - it allows the connection of multiple power sources/consumers to a single power train. The clutch / transmission pair allows a certain branch of the power train to be engaged or disengaged when needed.

You can always jump in creative mode and try some ideas...

3 hours ago, Ivan Stamenov said:

You can always jump in creative mode and try some ideas...

I was thinking of doing this.

So, forgive my ignorance, but how do the clutch/transmission work together? Is one of them effectively a switch for the other? Are there rules on how they need to be placed? I did watch a video on how to make a gear box, but it went really fast and assumed a lot of basic knowledge that I lack. So if someone could explain how the clutch and transmission work, that would get me headed in a good direction, and will make it easier to understand the youtube stuff. 

Junawood, thanks for taking the time to put together the description and pictures. I am inspired to try something and your model is a good place to start. 

Wish me luck!

The transmission is two gears in line that are not connected. If you add a clutch to the side and activate it with RMB, it moves a bit and connects the two gears. So yep, the clutch is a switch to turn that part of the machine on and off.

Like Ivan said, best is to just go into creative mode and try some things without having to make all the parts first. And if you make the parts in a normal world, you can find all the recipes in the handbook, and if checking the handbook over and over again get's too annoying after a while, just write them down on a piece of paper or print them out. Yes, I've done that. :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

They're in the handbook (H), but if you play the game in another language, you should find those parts and what they're named by checking the things you can craft with logs. The clutch is directly listed under "Ingredient for", and for the transmission you can click on the "Angled gears" and then it's again listed under "Ingredient for". Or you could find all parts in the Creative Inventory in Creative Mode, listed under "Mechanics", the bottom tab on the left.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.