Screenshot failure error can anyone help?

Papa Cheese

4.2.2021 12:25:23 [Error] Screenshot failed: System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException (0x80004005): A generic error occurred in GDI+.
   at System.Drawing.Image.Save(String filename, ImageCodecInfo encoder, EncoderParameters encoderParams)
   at _jYdRz15iP89LTalkcDMMJzy8zDD._4ZFzQ64yVffxvIJIX75AE03Nu0(ClientPlatformAbstract , String , String , Boolean , Boolean )
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientPlatformWindows.SaveScreenshot(String path, String filename, Boolean withAlpha, Boolean flip)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.SystemScreenshot.OnFrameDone(Single dt)

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same issue since I started playing, i'm unable to take a screenshot.

I tried to start the game in admin mode.
I also checked if the file where the screenshots are supposed to land was created (C:\Users\asus\Pictures) as specified here :
https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=Frequently_Asked_Questions_(FAQ)
I have to mention that my Print Screen key works, but it's not very practical for 2 reasons :

• It shows the HUD
  • I have to name it manually each time

Here is the error log (in french)  I dont know any code, so I asked a friend. I've been told it's the System.Drawing.Image.Save which is failing

12.4.2021 17:41:46 [Error] Screenshot failed: System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException (0x80004005😞 Une erreur générique s'est produite dans GDI+.
   à System.Drawing.Image.Save(String filename, ImageCodecInfo encoder, EncoderParameters encoderParams)
   à _BU8nAnzGeGiOv3NaJyolglOMrS9._3DMCDSJ2tWPMAvro4DzwxU7iTiP(ClientPlatformAbstract , String , String , Boolean , Boolean )
   à Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientPlatformWindows.SaveScreenshot(String path, String filename, Boolean withAlpha, Boolean flip)
   à Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.SystemScreenshot.OnFrameDone(Single dt)

I tried to google System.Drawing.Image.Save but it seems to be a code issue, which I can't fix

Thanks in advance for having a look, I love this game since I started to play it, and I'd love to share screenshots with my friends :D

Edited by Chooomp

There are few things here, I would save everything but I might have heard that, when reinstalling, the less we keep the better it is :D

I have a mod installed, but I'd also like to keep my
-graphics settings
-saved servers and IP linked with it

Here is my folder content (in appdata)

image.png.6678df251a1aa2f0a163025a32ed0808.png

I guess I have to keep

• ModConfig
  • ModData
  • Mods
  • Playerdata
  • Saves

Is that it ? :)

Do I need those clientsettings.bkb / .json   and serverconfig.json / servermagicnumbers.json   ?

Again, thank you for replying, much appreciated !

I just saved out the saves folder for my single player games and you can get by with just the mods folder to avoid re-downloading. I wrote down my server info. The rest will be repopulated on game load and connecting to your online server. You'll lose your map data and have to fill it back in but any way points you have marked are kept somewhere else so they will still be there. The player data folder I wouldn't save just in case there's old settings causing problems in there.

I just deleted everything, reinstalled the game with downloading from the new version (1.19 stable is just released \o/), installed it
I wanted to try a screenshot before putting my saves back in the folder so I create a world, enter it and press F12, got the same error. CTRL + F12, again same error in the log.
It didnt work 😥
I don't know what to do next.

So it's about my own laptop soft or something. I don't know where to start to fix the error i'm getting with System.Drawing.Image.Save

I'm not sure you can help me now, but hey, thanks Papa Cheese ! it's really kind of you anyway ;)

It might be a file system permissions issue, in that the Vintage Story client is not allowed to write to %USERNAME%\Pictures (or your regional equivalent). This is the folder where screenshots will be deposited. You can try reviewing and adjusting the file system permissions.

Edited by Streetwind

Well I tried. Unfortunately I'm still too new to the game to know where the screenshot settings for the game are kept. At least this has eliminated the possibility of old or corrupt settings/files being the problem. Only other thing I can think of to try is what Streetwind suggested and checking your permissions for your operating system.

I tried the file system permissions, still didnt worked.
What I have done :

• I took ownership of the C:\Users\asus\Pictures\Vintagestory file. It seemed I already had all permissions, but I did it anyway :).
    I followed this tutorial :
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/take-ownership-folder-windows-10-using-file-explorer
  • then I rebooted the laptop, tried to take a screenshot in VS, didnt work.
  • I also tried one more time launching the app with administrator rights, didnt work.
  • Then I checked another way to manage those file system permissions and I found on Tenforum.com a tutorial which I also followed, and all access are already granted.
    Here is a screenshot of where I checked (the File system down below) (I'm using those screens because my OS is not in english)

https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/238562d1561654651-allow-deny-apps-access-file-system-windows-10-a-file_system_access_for_apps.jpg?s=73c3a64ce7451fcc828f0e47c967a1e7

Maby I have done something wrong here, I don't know. All permissions seemed to be on, I followed the tutorials.

Let me know if there is another way to check wether it's a file system permissions matter or not. I'm not sure I covered everything, so I'm not sure we can exclude this as beeing the issue at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Up. Problem is still not solved. 👀

I found that I can use the WIN+PRNT SCREEN hotkey and the screen is saved in the C:\Users\asus\Pictures\Screenshots folder
But the quality is terrible even in .png (far from the F12 ingame key, and even further from the CTRL+F12)

Anyone coming up with an idea or suggestion is welcome :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.