Allow Mouse Buttons For Key Rebinding

Catastrophe

I moved chat from 'T' to 'enter' because pressing Enter to start and end a chat message feels natural to me. (Other games do it.)

I moved drop item from 'Q' to semicolon because mashing Q when I want W is annoying. >_<

But then I went to move sprint from ctrl to mouse 3, and it wouldn't let me. For me holding left ctrl while still maintaining control over WASD is very hard and requires twisting my hand a bit. Since mouse 3 is right under my right thumb, and that button isn't being used for anything else, why not? Far more comfortable and I probably will sprint a lot?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TristamIzumi said:

Depending on your mouse's software, you can work around this by binding the key you want a particular mouse button to activate within the mouse's software. This is what I do to bind Ctrl, Shift, and Alt to the "MMO keys" on my mouse.

How to do this with A4Tech mouses for example?

Assuming you play the Windows version, you have a more generic way to remap keys in almost any process, with the powerful tool Autohotkey. In our case, just create a basic text file called, for instance, vsremap.ahk, and put it wherever you want in your homedir. Just put the following lines in it. Xbutton2 (or Xbutton1, depending on your prefered one) will act as LeftControl.

if WinActive("Vintage Story")
	Xbutton2::LCtrl

Before launching VS, just double click on your script vsremap.ahk, it will start Autohotkey as a daemon, with your minimal script already active.

I tested this script, it works (and I'll probably keep it). Of course, you can add as many lines as you want to remap other keys. Hope this help.

Edited by Saricane

Found another way. If your mouse has its own software, you can bind additional buttons (if you can't bind them in-game) to Num-1 and Num-2 for example then bind them to any what you want. I did this for my A4Tech mouse. In other games, I can bind it without problems. Ie this is the only game where I need to do it

Edited by Craluminum

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.