Broken seed

Guys, pls help. Some days ago my friend have created a world, then sent it to me via .zip file. I've opened it, checked seed, but after making a new world with the same seed I get absolutely another world. Same version, same settings, same seed. What I do wrong? It's really important to me to play on that seed especially.

It's possible that the world itself was created on an older update. Most new major updates invalidate old seeds and reset them to a different layout. If your friend made their world before the version you are currently playing on, then the seed will not work.

If you need to play on the world your friend is playing on, your best choice may be to downgrade your Vintage Story version to the version the world was made on, make a world with the seed, then reupdate and refactor the world once you enter it. In theory this should work, but I am uncertain.

If the world is in fact made on the same version you are playing on (probably v1.15) then I am not sure what the issue may be. Your best option may be to have your friend use a new world, check the seed, and send it to you (all on the most recent update), or alternatively copy the current world file over directly to your saves folder and just use that. Both of these options obviously have their downsides.

Edited by Ender Riens

On 7/31/2021 at 11:07 PM, Михаил Левин said:

absolutely another world. Same version, same settings, same seed

Are you sure you used exactly the same settings? Some settings that I wouldn't have expected to have an influence on what the world is shaped like actually do change it. But like Saricane already explained, you never get 100% the same world, because the seed does not for example determine where every single plant is placed, just areas for forests and things like that.

Edited by junawood

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 3:47 AM, Saricane said:

Using the same seed (even with the same game version) will not grant you the same exact world. You'll have the same rocky landscape, but the trees and plants placement will not be exactly the same.

Isn't that an inefficient design? If the seed doesn't determine vegetation placement, doesn't that mean that uncovering more of the world requires much more storage space and network traffic, since randomly generated map elements like that, which can't be determined by seed, would need to be saved, synced, etc. even if they haven't been modified?

By comparison, map elements that are seed-deterministic would not need any of that unless some modification happened to them post-generation.

• 2 months later...

Using the same seed, seem to give the exact same map, but not the same spawn point. The only way I find to have the exact same start again, is to set the "Random respawn radius" to 0 in the world setting the 2 times. So, when you play with huge spawn distance like in wilderness survival the seed is pretty much useless.. Workaround, If you really want, you can take your coordinate and use the command tp for going to this at the start.

Edited by Oryon Games

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.