is there a better way to update mods than starting over everytime?

Sukotto82

I was wondering is there a way to update your mod data. 

everytime there is an update say from 1.13.xx to 1.14.xx and from 1.14.xx to 1.15.xx every time it breaks everything I had working before and I don't know how to update it because I'm not sure what's breaking it all the time when they worked prior to the updates. 

I basically need to restart them from scratch everytime.

is this why a lot of mods don't get updated for most games like the capsule mod for an example for minecraft it's open source so you can update it yourself if you know how I like that mod but it doesn't work in current windows 10 version of minecraft.

are problems like this why lots of mods take so long to get up to date and why they usually only updated every few updates rather than every update?

I do know that it's a game that is still in development and it will continue changing. I would just like to know of a way to keep my mods up to date instead of remaking them from scratch every time there is an update I can spend more time working on things I haven't finished rather than redoing everything that was previously done and working in the previous version.

Edited by Sukotto82

22 minutes ago, Sukotto82 said:

I was wondering is there a way to update your mod data. 

everytime there is an update say from 1.13.xx to 1.14.xx and from 1.14.xx to 1.15.xx every time it breaks everything I had working before and I don't know how to update it because I'm not sure what's breaking it all the time when they worked prior to the updates. 

I basically need to restart them from scratch everytime.

is this why a lot of mods don't get updated for most games like the capsule mod for an example for minecraft it's open source so you can update it yourself if you know how I like that mod but it doesn't work in current windows 10 version of minecraft.

are problems like this why lots of mods take so long to get up to date and why they usually only updated every few updates rather than every update?

I do know that it's a game that is still in development and it will continue changing. I would just like to know of a way to keep my mods up to date instead of remaking them from scratch every time there is an update I can spend more time working on things I haven't finished rather than redoing everything that was previously done and working in the previous version.

For most mods, the update is only required between major versions (1.14 -> 1.15), because there is a lot of new content. Increases the chance of breaking vanilla asset patches (if something changes in them), code mod, greatly increases the use of Harmony (including between minor versions). It can also be related to changes in the API (indicated in the changelog).

Compared to mc, where sometimes a mod needs to be completely rewritten, support for mods on VS is not difficult. In any case, as long as the game is constantly evolving and changing, mods will break.

Also, additional problems are caused by the excessive use of the game domain for the mod's assets or the use of replacing the file along the same path instead of the patch (exclude shapes, lang).

• Like 2

yeah I did a patch as well as had completely new stuff but something I think it was the transition between 1.12 to 1.13 or 1.13 to 1.14 the way a name was written changed that broke some things. example changing clay_blue to blue_clay (not actually the word changed but just an example) broke everything that referenced clay_blue.

I don't know what changed between when I was on and now I didn't have my pc for a while and just recently connected it back up though not in a great place but I can use it now and I was going to finish fixing a few things and found nothing is working. everything got broke again lol.

now I need to start all over with a tutorial and try figuring out how to fix the parts of my mod I had working that are not working anymore.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.