Food

Capto Lamia

Food should satiate more.  Really should not be starving in one day.  Maybe if a Hardcore mode but as it stands makes the game to tedious to spend 90% of my time looking for food.

After about 4 hours of gameplay and starving to death because I could not find enough food I gave up.

Survival manual is ok but needs some more work.

Crafting UI really needs a lot of work.  Finding recipes and figuring how it works took a bit of doing.  Add a tutorial to the game itself and not just leave it in a survival guide.  Suggestions on the screen are a good way.

I know the game is in early access and it shows.   Do work on things.   I might return but I don't have that much time to play a game that takes hours of play time just to gather a few berries and end up starving to death over the night anyway.  If you are looking for realistic survival you did not achieve that in the food department.   Could not get to the rest of crafting.  Died from starving to much.

There are plenty of options to make the game easier. I use some of them by myself, also a slower hunger rate. Just change a value in your world config and you solve 90% of all balancing issues 😉

But yes, it could be balanced a little better by default. I found the exact half of the normal hunger rate just perfect for my playstyle.

Yes, dying from starvation is crazy quick.

As @Screwy wrote, you can adjust hunger rate in the settings.

1 hour ago, Capto Lamia said:

Died from starving to much.

If you can find Cattails, then cooked cattail roots are a good emergency food (Starter Survival Guide Info).
Use spear as you first weapon, it is effective ranged weapon, better if you have 3-4 of them. With sneak (shift) you can approach animals an some of then kill by one shot (haze, chicken) - if you are lucky. Or kill then in the water, they are much slower then you and you can stab them to death.

1 hour ago, Capto Lamia said:

Food should satiate more.  Really should not be starving in one day.  Maybe if a Hardcore mode but as it stands makes the game to tedious to spend 90% of my time looking for food.

After about 4 hours of gameplay and starving to death because I could not find enough food I gave up.

Reasons you might be suffering food troubles:

• You're playing a blackguard
  • You're constantly holding a torch in your offhand
  • You're too careless and are constantly injured

All these things raise the food consumption speed. Regenerating health in particular burns through your satiation meter.

But an even bigger impact would come from the fourth reason: you're not processing your food. When you spawn in the world, you are basically forced to eat the ingredients you find around the world - berries, mushrooms, unprocessed grain, pieces of bushmeat, that sort of thing. They do not give you much, and spoil quickly. You will run out of them, guaranteed, unless you either keep moving, or start doing something to improve the output. Cooking, baking, farming, or preserving. For example, baking bread requires some infrastructure investment, but it will multiply the food value of grain by five. And with stuff like that, it suddenly becomes a lot easier to make ends meet.

As you get more experienced at the game, survival becomes easier. You will know how to better avoid injuries, learn to make bandages to top off your health in order to avoid becoming hungry, and memorize the things you need to best process various foodstuffs. (Which, in 90% of all cases, is a claypot. Craft a claypot and some bowls. Done. ;))

• Like 2

I've yet to ever die of starvation in this game. I usually die of a surprise wolf ambush, drifters, a sand slide down a hellishly deep pit or a poorly calculated cave exploration.
There are so many food options to consider and use. So many animals to trap in pits, crops to grow, bread to make and.. Pies. Oh...Lovely pies...

But yes, like @Streetwindsaid. First few days are rough, sure, but not impossibly difficult either. Make pit traps and lure some animals in by poking them. With the amount of meat they would provide, you should never be out of food.
And berry bushes. There are plenty of them and even the raccoons they attract can be hunted for food.
By the time you start investing in refining your foods into meals and pies... You'll be swimming of meat and berries.
Also.. Crop farms.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.