Ancient Military Technology (AnMiTech) v1.0.9

Tonzag

Greetings Vintarian!

Let me introduce to your attention Ancient Military Technology. If you are tired of the appearance of your vanilla sword, then you have come to the right place.
The mod adds a large number of different samples of ancient weapons and armor to the game. You can feel like a Viking, Samurai, landsknecht and even a Roman legionnaire. In the future, their number will only grow to represent as many epochs as possible. The development is taking quite small steps, but I hope that your patience will pay off.

I'm pretty bad at programming, so if you find any errors, please let me know as soon as possible. I don't want to ruin the gameplay for you.

I want to thank macoto_hino for the Japanese translation. If anyone has a desire to help with translation into other languages, I will be very grateful.

Added full compatibility with the grindstone from the Necessaries mod!

Added content:

Mycenaean Sword

Spoiler

One of the oldest representatives of swords in history. It is made only by casting.

image.thumb.png.765493c9aee9d3af855c7bc925057e6c.png

Gladius

Spoiler

The sword of the Roman legionaries. It is transitional between the Bronze and Iron Ages. He is considered the father of European swords.

image.png

Mace

Spoiler

The evolution of the simplest weapon in the history of mankind – a wooden club. Has a slow attack animation but deals increased damage.

mace.thumb.png.4f1c6d240dd71fb5b19d9ff276ba2056.png

Sax

Spoiler

A large utility knife that they always carried with them. Due to its length and weight, it was used as an additional or sometimes main weapon.

seax.thumb.png.4a0b6d51af0722b04e783a1a70089b59.png

The Carolingian Sword

Spoiler

The famous Viking sword. Among the swords of that era there were those who stood out for their quality. Enjoy using it.

car.thumb.png.58bb23c68c8e382b87300e5279b081f3.png

ulf.thumb.png.93ce8ea3464e00fe6073d2c74beb9daa.png

Battle axe

Spoiler

A battle axe is great for piercing armor. Although he will do a great job with a tree

axe1.thumb.png.cac349303328658ad10e77970364a47d.png

axe.png.e84faddeee431b967252b1d820f52e42.png

Saber

Spoiler

Balanced weapon for delivering fast slashes.

sabre.png

Spear

Spoiler

The most common weapon in the history of mankind. With skillful use, it allows you to keep a distance from the enemy. You can still throw it, but it won't fly far

image.png

Steel age:

Kriegsmesser

Spoiler

Kriegsmesser literally means a “war knife”. It is a simpler and cheaper analogue of a longsword. Mainly used by landsknechts

gross.thumb.png.42749399fc2c655de3fb3033f6d8bd9f.png

Katzbalger

Spoiler

Short Renaissance arming sword. Signature blade of the Landsknecht

katzbalger.png

Flamberge

Spoiler

A longsword with a “flaming” blade.It is an attribute of professional swordsmen and adventurers.

fla.thumb.png.e1336215776f8e3f3b1ea0c1c625c821.png

Katana

Spoiler

A blade without which it is impossible to imagine a Japanese Samurai. Well balanced for fast strikes

katana.png

Added Armor:

The game already has a very beautiful armor, but I couldn't stop and also tried to do something decent.

Lorica Segmentata

Spoiler

The legendary armor of the Roman Legionnaires is now available to you!

lorica.png

Scutum

Spoiler

To complete the image of a Legionnaire, you need the right shield and here it is!

scutum.png

Nomad Armor

Spoiler

It is divided into two types. The light version is made of bronze lamellae and facilitates archery. The heavy option allows you to get good protection for a small amount of resources.

nomand.pngnomandar.png

Do-maru

Spoiler

samura.png

To feel like a samurai, you will have to go through the difficult path of creating this armor by repeating the ancient technology step by step. (although I had to simplify a little😂)

In the future I would like to add:

• Different wooden clubs for start your adventure
  • Battle axes, including throwing axes
  • Spears
  • Famous examples of weapons of the "steel age"
  • Different historical types of armor (If I can learn it 😅)

Write your tips and suggestions. Thanks for your attention

Edited by Tonzag
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

for decorational purposes it may be nice to have silver and gold versions with maybe some decorational parts (similar like the blckbronze gladius has these 2 horse heads or the kriegsmesser has that wolfshead in the picture), kinda like the silver battleaxe.

maybe some jians? though they are kinda similar to the corlingian swords (a bit more slender and less prominent hilt)

sables, daos and katana might be interesting too.

for the spears expansion, we have throwable spears already, maybe you might want to go in the direction of halberds and pikes? maybe add a pilum as iron/steel throwable spear...

you could give us a crossbow, more damage than bow, but takes time to reload, maybe even a light wooden and a heavy steel version of it, maybe even a bullet-shooting crossbow which is loaded with stones instead of arrows/bolts?

@Hal13,  I haven't planned gold or silver versions yet. I'm trying to claim some kind of historicity🙃 The rest is planned to one degree or another. I really want to implement a crossbow myself, but I have no idea how to make it work. If someone knows how to code such things, I will be glad of any help🙏

7 hours ago, Tonzag said:

I haven't planned gold or silver versions yet. I'm trying to claim some kind of historicity

oh they can have bad fighting stats and durability, decorational and ceremonial weapons were definitely made and not few of them were more or less useless in a fight.

another idea would be some kind of hanger (similar to the toolrack) to hang two weapons crossed onto a wall (maybe in the future for adding a shield in front of them too).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Featherduster said:

Might I post an inquiry into potential helping/ being with your mod?
Ive started converting some models I have to VS and would enjoy learning to mod, but im as green as they come, if not if you feel like me hucking models at you to play with let me know.

I don't have enough time to implement all my ideas. However, I am ready to look at your models and add them if they strike me right in the heart.🙃

• Tonzag changed the title to Ancient Military Technology (AnMiTech) v1.0.6
5 hours ago, Featherduster said:

Well heres a one of my crossbows I converted if I figured out the ranged weapon mod. Still have to learn texturing.

Screenshot (428).png

Meduim_Crossbow.json 68.52 kB · 0 downloads

Wow its look prety good! You should keep working, especially if you know how to make it work. I'm a complete zero in programming😅

Edited by Tonzag

Hey, i became this error on my server.

16.1.2022 11:49:23 [Warning] Failed resolving crafting recipe ingredient with code tonwexp:gladius-blackbronze in Grid recipe
16.1.2022 11:49:23 [Error] Grid Recipe 'tonwexp:recipes/grid/gladius.json': Output Item code tonwexp:gladius-blackbronze cannot be resolved
16.1.2022 11:49:23 [Warning] Failed resolving crafting recipe ingredient with code tonwexp:gladius-iron in Grid recipe
16.1.2022 11:49:23 [Error] Grid Recipe 'tonwexp:recipes/grid/gladius.json': Output Item code tonwexp:gladius-iron cannot be resolved
16.1.2022 11:49:23 [Warning] Failed resolving crafting recipe ingredient with code tonwexp:gladius-meteoriciron in Grid recipe
16.1.2022 11:49:23 [Error] Grid Recipe 'tonwexp:recipes/grid/gladius.json': Output Item code tonwexp:gladius-meteoriciron cannot be resolved
16.1.2022 11:49:23 [Warning] Failed resolving crafting recipe ingredient with code tonwexp:gladius-steel in Grid recipe
16.1.2022 11:49:23 [Error] Grid Recipe 'tonwexp:recipes/grid/gladius.json': Output Item code tonwexp:gladius-steel cannot be resolved
16.1.2022 11:49:24 [Warning] Failed resolving crafting recipe ingredient with code tonwexp:mace-blackbronze in Grid recipe
16.1.2022 11:49:24 [Error] Grid Recipe 'tonwexp:recipes/grid/mace.json': Output Item code tonwexp:mace-blackbronze cannot be resolved
16.1.2022 11:49:24 [Warning] Failed resolving crafting recipe ingredient with code tonwexp:mace-meteoriciron in Grid recipe
16.1.2022 11:49:24 [Error] Grid Recipe 'tonwexp:recipes/grid/mace.json': Output Item code tonwexp:mace-meteoriciron cannot be resolved
16.1.2022 11:49:24 [Warning] Failed resolving crafting recipe ingredient with code tonwexp:mace-steel in Grid recipe
16.1.2022 11:49:24 [Error] Grid Recipe 'tonwexp:recipes/grid/mace.json': Output Item code tonwexp:mace-steel cannot be resolved

This the mods i use: mod@AncientTools_V1.3.2.zip, mod@animalcages_v2.0.5.zip, mod@blacksmithname_v1.0.1.zip, mod@Cebby's Seeds.zip, mod@CottageWindows_v1.0.1.zip, mod@Craftables1.0.1.zip, mod@necessaries_v1.16.0-1.1.0.zip, mod@PrimitiveSurvival2.8.0.zip, mod@qptech1.6.2.zip, mod@spyglass_v0.4.2.zip, mod@ViesBlocks-VS1.16.0-v2.0.1.zip, mod@wildcraft-v1.1.0.zip, mod@zeekea_v1.16.0-1.6.0.zip, mod@alchemy1.5.5.zip, mod@DSDebarkedLogs_v1.16.0-1.0.4.zip, mod@FixHandbookClutter-v1.0.0.zip, mod@Lichen-v1.6.1-VS1.16.0.zip, mod@medievalexpansion-3.7.1.zip, mod@PlayerCorpse_v1.16.0-pre.8_v1.3.0.zip, mod@StonePathVariants-v1.0.2.zip, mod@VanillaVariants-v1.1.2.zip, mod@WoodChests-v1.0.1.zip, mod@xrowboat_0.0.1.zip, mod@AnvilMetalRecovery_V0.16-Release.zip, mod@bricklayers-0.8.0.zip, mod@Bullseye 2.2.4.zip, mod@AnMiTech_v1.0.6.zip, mod@TemporalTinkerer_v2.3.0.zip

6 hours ago, Michael Mehler said:

Hey, i became this error on my server.

16.1.2022 11:49:23 [Warning] Failed resolving crafting recipe ingredient with code tonwexp:gladius-blackbronze in Grid recipe
16.1.2022 11:49:23 [Error] Grid Recipe 'tonwexp:recipes/grid/gladius.json': Output Item code tonwexp:gladius-blackbronze cannot be resolved
16.1.2022 11:49:23 [Warning] Failed resolving crafting recipe ingredient with code tonwexp:gladius-iron in Grid recipe
16.1.2022 11:49:23 [Error] Grid Recipe 'tonwexp:recipes/grid/gladius.json': Output Item code tonwexp:gladius-iron cannot be resolved
16.1.2022 11:49:23 [Warning] Failed resolving crafting recipe ingredient with code tonwexp:gladius-meteoriciron in Grid recipe
16.1.2022 11:49:23 [Error] Grid Recipe 'tonwexp:recipes/grid/gladius.json': Output Item code tonwexp:gladius-meteoriciron cannot be resolved
16.1.2022 11:49:23 [Warning] Failed resolving crafting recipe ingredient with code tonwexp:gladius-steel in Grid recipe
16.1.2022 11:49:23 [Error] Grid Recipe 'tonwexp:recipes/grid/gladius.json': Output Item code tonwexp:gladius-steel cannot be resolved
16.1.2022 11:49:24 [Warning] Failed resolving crafting recipe ingredient with code tonwexp:mace-blackbronze in Grid recipe
16.1.2022 11:49:24 [Error] Grid Recipe 'tonwexp:recipes/grid/mace.json': Output Item code tonwexp:mace-blackbronze cannot be resolved
16.1.2022 11:49:24 [Warning] Failed resolving crafting recipe ingredient with code tonwexp:mace-meteoriciron in Grid recipe
16.1.2022 11:49:24 [Error] Grid Recipe 'tonwexp:recipes/grid/mace.json': Output Item code tonwexp:mace-meteoriciron cannot be resolved
16.1.2022 11:49:24 [Warning] Failed resolving crafting recipe ingredient with code tonwexp:mace-steel in Grid recipe
16.1.2022 11:49:24 [Error] Grid Recipe 'tonwexp:recipes/grid/mace.json': Output Item code tonwexp:mace-steel cannot be resolved

This the mods i use: mod@AncientTools_V1.3.2.zip, mod@animalcages_v2.0.5.zip, mod@blacksmithname_v1.0.1.zip, mod@Cebby's Seeds.zip, mod@CottageWindows_v1.0.1.zip, mod@Craftables1.0.1.zip, mod@necessaries_v1.16.0-1.1.0.zip, mod@PrimitiveSurvival2.8.0.zip, mod@qptech1.6.2.zip, mod@spyglass_v0.4.2.zip, mod@ViesBlocks-VS1.16.0-v2.0.1.zip, mod@wildcraft-v1.1.0.zip, mod@zeekea_v1.16.0-1.6.0.zip, mod@alchemy1.5.5.zip, mod@DSDebarkedLogs_v1.16.0-1.0.4.zip, mod@FixHandbookClutter-v1.0.0.zip, mod@Lichen-v1.6.1-VS1.16.0.zip, mod@medievalexpansion-3.7.1.zip, mod@PlayerCorpse_v1.16.0-pre.8_v1.3.0.zip, mod@StonePathVariants-v1.0.2.zip, mod@VanillaVariants-v1.1.2.zip, mod@WoodChests-v1.0.1.zip, mod@xrowboat_0.0.1.zip, mod@AnvilMetalRecovery_V0.16-Release.zip, mod@bricklayers-0.8.0.zip, mod@Bullseye 2.2.4.zip, mod@AnMiTech_v1.0.6.zip, mod@TemporalTinkerer_v2.3.0.zip

I'll try to figure out what the problem is. However, I think I already know the solution "Fixed: Game crashing if two mods with the same mod id are in the mods folder" This line is from the new patch v1.16.1-rc.2, maybe it will fix it🤔

1 hour ago, Michael Mehler said:

this error too 16.1.2022 14:27:51 [Warning] Failed resolving a blocks itemdrop or smeltedstack with code tonwexp:katzbalgerblade-iron in smithing recipe tonwexp:recipes/smithing/katzbalgerblade.json

Can you describe to me the conditions in which the error appears? And does it appear in a single-player game?

It looks as though with the latest release following the initial sword nerf (-50% attack speed), Tyron buffed swing speed by +25%, then in the latest release adjusted base longsword damage by +25%. Will you be adjusting the attack values of your weapons in order to reflect this change, or perhaps to maintain a certain internalized concept of how strong they should be overall?

For clarification, to retain the same dps as pre-1.16 with the new attack speed would require a 60% damage buff. 

Edited by Russia
  • Like 1

• Tonzag changed the title to Ancient Military Technology (AnMiTech) v1.0.7

I've been really enjoying the new weapons, especially the maces. High damage and short range makes for some fun high risk, high reward gameplay.

Though it seems that they didn't recieve any damage increase after the latest update, despite retaining the original swing speed since they're based off of the wooden club. Right now there isn't much point to using them because while they do more damage per hit, they're slow to swing so they're only slightly stronger than other weapons. Which would be ok, if they weren't offset by having just two meters of reach.

Not much point to using a Pernach when you could just have a Kriegsmesser, which does only slightly less damage once you do the math while having 0.7m reach more. I had made a patch for myself where I bumped the damage of all weapons by 25% and maces felt pretty good. 25% for the other weapon types was a bit too much though.

Also is it on purpose that iron is lacking some weapons that steel has? In general some metals seem to be lacking weapons that they could have, like the Messer, Katzbalger and especially the Seax. Seax knife is iron and meteoic iron only, no steel and no bronze. The seax also can have a bone handle only if it's made out of iron. And I sadly found out that the seax can't be used in crafting recipes that use a knife, like rash matting and the such.

Not trying to powergame or anything, I can adjust values myself if I wanted to. Just asking if this is for some historical accuracy or something. Thanks for the very sleek looking weapons. Using the same vanilla sword for the entire game was getting very tiresome so your mod is a mainstay for me.

• Thanks 1

@Vincent MorganFirst of all, thank you for the detailed comment. Now in order about everything:

Many weapons are presented only in the steel version, because these samples represent a rather late era of the art of weapons. And therefore, according to my idea, they should be given to the player in a late game.

As for Sax, I want to expand its functionality. To be honest, I completely forgot that it can be used in crafting (i need to fix it, but it's a lot of work😰).

The damage values of the mace may be revised. I wanted to make it so that the DPS of different weapons is at a more or less equal level. The shorter the range, the greater the DPS. This is done so that there is no specific weapon that everyone would choose only for its effectiveness. Let beauty or rolleplay decide.🙃 However, it is possible to understand the correctness of certain decisions only by testing them in a real game. So it's great when players write their opinions🙏

Yeah, I understand the desire to not have a "best weapon" and right now the maces have about the same DPS as swords, but with less range. And after the recent combat update range has become a very strong stat.

Pernach actually has slightly less damage than the Kriegsmesser because of the swing speed difference. Which seems to go against the usual philosophy I've noticed where more damage means less range.

Period accuracy is completely fine, even if by the time you have steel, most weapons are decorative because you've probably explored more than enough. As in, having the weapons be in the endgame only will reduce how used they are. Though I ain't asking for copper sabres or anything. Might be nice to have some more exotic weapons for the iron age then, because the coolest ones currently are steel only.

And seax functionality in crafting will be cool to have but I don't think it detracts that much from just how awesome a big knife is.

@Vincent MorganAt the moment, the Kriegsmesser has 5.9 damage and the Pernach has 8.3 if I remember everything correctly. With these values, it takes 7 and 5 strokes to kill a nightmarish drifter, respectively. I am generally silent about the smaller guys.

The question is not whether Pernach is bad, but whether the Kriegsmesser is too good. According to my idea, one-and-a-half swords should beat slower, but so far it has not been possible to implement this.

As for iron weapons, so far I am trying to have many well-known samples presented from iron and above (Viking sword, Axe, Saber), however, something from the Renaissance era should be there.

So that these swords do not get too late, I have an idea to introduce a method of piece-made steel. However, everything that I have come up with so far is not good. One method is difficult to implement technically. The other is likely to displace the vanilla version.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.