Did they change the way torches are made in the new update?

Blissful_Rampage
Go to solution Solved by Blissful_Rampage,

• Solution

I just downloaded VS version 1.16 and can't seem to make torches anymore. I try to do the usual thing of putting sticks into the fire pit, but that doesn't seem to work anymore. The fuel gets used up and the sticks just stay sticks. I haven't a clue as to how to make torches now. Does anyone know if they changed the way torches are made in the new update or is this a bug? 

Edit: Well, my sister found the answer for me. I don't know why it was so hard for me to find an answer to this question online but every search I made just gave me the old way of doing it. And all my sis did was look it up on the wiki. (I did that too, and still got the old "put sticks in the fir pit" result". Turns out all I had to do was put sticks and grass in the crafting grid to get unlit torches first, then put them in the fire. 

Edited by Blissful_Rampage

19 hours ago, Blissful_Rampage said:

Well, my sister found the answer for me. I don't know why it was so hard for me to find an answer to this question online but every search I made just gave me the old way of doing it. And all my sis did was look it up on the wiki. (I did that too, and still got the old "put sticks in the fir pit" result". Turns out all I had to do was put sticks and grass in the crafting grid to get unlit torches first, then put them in the fire.

My last info was that'd be still an experimental recipe and not meant to work that way yet, but I'm always a fair bit behind with information on the development of all the games I'm testing... And I rarely make more than maybe a stack or less of torches at the start of a new world.

7 hours ago, Hal13 said:

My last info was that'd be still an experimental recipe and not meant to work that way yet, but I'm always a fair bit behind with information on the development of all the games I'm testing... And I rarely make more than maybe a stack or less of torches at the start of a new world.

My first few days in the game are the most stressful for me as I usually end up scrabbling for food and basic resources to last through the night. I hate not having torches due to the one time I ended up spending my first night in a pitch dark dirt shelter due to the fact that I had no sticks and my fire ran out of wood. I also forgot to gather enough grass to make a bed so I had to sit up all night in absolute darkness listening to Drifters going "mmm" outside with the only thing separating me from them was blocks of dirt. It didn't help that I also hadn't made a spear yet. So torches are essential for me because even if the nighttime catches me without a lot of resources I at least can see. 

7 hours ago, Sparkle Kitti said:

Yeah, I tried the old way and was wondering why they were taking so long to make. So I pressed H and typed in torch and saw the new recipe. Personally, I feel like this way makes more sense. The wiki hasn't been updated yet.

Yeah, the new way does make a lot more sense. I always thought it a little weird that I had to burn sticks to make torches. Realistically that would only give me ashes. And I'm embarrassed to admit that I forgot about the in game guide. 

• Haha 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.