Create Saplings from Trees

Asilyad

In real life I live in an area that has few trees except areound lakes or creeks. Old timers knew to cut branches off when a tree was harvested to replace the one they took down. If they were smart, they planted several saplings in case some didn't grow, or got eaten by deer, cattle, wild pigs, ect. Tree farming would be a good way to reforest, or start a colony in a tree poor environment.

In game I'm using branchy leaves on hoed ground as the simplest marker. In a couple of game days the leaves "root" into a sapling. If I understood coding, I'd write it up that way. 

On 1/6/2022 at 8:44 AM, Smile said:

Breaking leaves on trees yields saplings already, albeit not for every tree until you get shears to remove branches and saplings at a greater precentage.

There are no differences in drop rates anymore, you can use shears or any other tool including your bare hands, seed and stick drop rates stay the same. shears are able to cut up to about 18 blocks of leaves at once though.

I would prefer to have to use shears on branchy leaves to get saplings somewhat guaranteed instead of hacking through leaves faster though (see here).

Edited by Hal13

1 hour ago, Hal13 said:

There are no differences in drop rates anymore, you can use shears or any other tool including your bare hands, seed and stick drop rates stay the same. shears are able to cut up to about 18 blocks of leaves at once though.

I would prefer to have to use shears on branchy leaves to get saplings somewhat guaranteed instead of hacking through leaves faster though (see here).

Drop rate is higher compared to cutting the tree, is what I meant. Just worded it really poorly to seem like I meant breaking it by hand.

Edited by Smile

11 hours ago, Smile said:

Drop rate is higher compared to cutting the tree, is what I meant. Just worded it really poorly to seem like I meant breaking it by hand.

If I do understand You correctly that's wrong, but I'm unsure if You could mean to compare felling the tree as a whole against breaking the leaves before doing so, then You'd be right.

The drop rate was and is the same (or there is no significant difference, one would have to look into the code to confidently say "same") if one breaks the leaves with any tool / bare hands, according to both the wiki and my own experimenting with thousands of trees at this point (over versions from 1.12.14 up to 1.15.9), only letting the leaf blocks despawn and felling the tree as a whole result in lower drop rates.

When the player needs wood, trees are best harvested using an axe.
When the player needs sticks or seeds, the foliage of the tree should be broken first. Breaking leaves with shears harvests foliage blocks in a 3 X 3 area. Shears in itself do not raise the drop probability for saplings, however they allow faster harvesting than breaking every block by hand. Keep in mind that felling the tree with an axe without prior de-leaving will lower the drop chances of seeds for the remaining foliage.

5 hours ago, Hal13 said:

If I do understand You correctly that's wrong, but I'm unsure if You could mean to compare felling the tree as a whole against breaking the leaves before doing so, then You'd be right.

The drop rate was and is the same (or there is no significant difference, one would have to look into the code to confidently say "same") if one breaks the leaves with any tool / bare hands, according to both the wiki and my own experimenting with thousands of trees at this point (over versions from 1.12.14 up to 1.15.9), only letting the leaf blocks despawn and felling the tree as a whole result in lower drop rates.

Cutting down the tree gives you less than breaking the leaves individually yes, drop rate aside.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.