parachute, glider or another way to avoid falling to death

Hal13

I think it would be nice to have some mechanic to prevent fall damage when falling deep.

Building high in survival is rather tedious, sure one is able to put up ladders or scaffold with blocks, but even then one can fall to death easily.

My suggestion is something like a craftable parachute, that slows one down to under damaging speeds over about 5-10 blocks (maybe reducing fall damage after deploying it to the damage you take when falling 10 blocks minus the fallen blocks since deploying, down to 0 at most) and perhaps keeps sideways momentum and/or can be influenced by wind.
I think it should have to be deployed to use (use in hotbar) and afterwards it should need to be packed before being used again (maybe putting it down on a full block surface, craft animation for a short time and taking it up again).

Or maybe some slimy fluid that can be used like water in Minecraft to break ones fall.

On 1/5/2022 at 6:53 AM, Hal13 said:

I think it would be nice to have some mechanic to prevent fall damage when falling deep.

Building high in survival is rather tedious, sure one is able to put up ladders or scaffold with blocks, but even then one can fall to death easily.

My suggestion is something like a craftable parachute, that slows one down to under damaging speeds over about 5-10 blocks (maybe reducing fall damage after deploying it to the damage you take when falling 10 blocks minus the fallen blocks since deploying, down to 0 at most) and perhaps keeps sideways momentum and/or can be influenced by wind.
I think it should have to be deployed to use (use in hotbar) and afterwards it should need to be packed before being used again (maybe putting it down on a full block surface, craft animation for a short time and taking it up again).

Or maybe some slimy fluid that can be used like water in Minecraft to break ones fall.

If they want to go the more adventure game route (BOTW) where there are options for gliders I would love it, but I don't see it happening in vanilla myself. If so maybe some very late game content where you start to restore some of the old lost technology.

There is also a mod (dated and possibly no longer functioning) that adds Gliders you can find here:

On 2/10/2021 at 2:59 PM, jakecool19 said:

This crudely put together flying contraption can help transverse mountainous areas much faster. Much caution and care must be taken not to land too hard or land in the wrong spot.

17 hours ago, Smile said:

If they want to go the more adventure game route (BOTW) where there are options for gliders I would love it, but I don't see it happening in vanilla myself. If so maybe some very late game content where you start to restore some of the old lost technology.

There is also a mod (dated and possibly no longer functioning) that adds Gliders you can find here:

I asked for something to break ones fall not to traverse the land (else i would have mentioned Minecraft's Elytra and not Minecraft water), something like a parachute without or with very limited steering capabilities (irl hightech paraglider can reach 8km for each 1km of fall, I'd say cutting that down to 2-3 for a simpler, and smaller, parachute sounds about right) would be at latest available somewhere midgame, around the time you can afford making gambeson armour. Even a hang-glider (steerable, going in any horizontal direction at best a dozen blocks for every block down [irl a hang-glider can travel around 15km for each 1km of fall, cutting off 20% sounds about right for slightly heavier linen and wooden frame], with no option to just float downwards, would need to be put down next to an ledge before using, would become an item when running into any block that's not air) wouldn't need ressources you wouldn't have at that point.

Those look as if you'd need to anchor them before falling and therefore do not tackle the problem I want to solve. i kinda think a parachute would be comparably easier to implement too.

And the rope from that clip behaves more like a bungee cord instead of a rope, ropes aren't really elastic.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.