Exact time for tree cuttings to grow/die?

Khornet

Planted a tree inside a greenhouse. The greenhouse is correct, as tilled soil displays the +5C bonus. It is also 7 blocks high (the highest possible) to make room for the tree growing.
However, the tree does NOT grow. After 24 in-game days, absolutely nothing is happening to it. It's stuck at the "establishing tree cutting" phase, as seen in the screenshot. Is this an "eventually" matter, or is planting cuttings bugged? 2022-02-14_03-13-41.thumb.png.95da710772c3e514e0bfa715a4cbd1d9.png

I know that the wild tree fruit stems don't seem to regrow anything, though I don't know if that's subject to change...

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread, because I'd still like to know what is the time (in days) required for fruit tree cuttings to survive and grow.
The fruit tree in the greenhouse in the OP actually took root and grew... but it took an ATROCIOUSLY long amount of time.

The wiki lacks information about how much time is needed for the fruit tree cutting to go from the initial stage to the next one. There is also (obviously) no in-game tooltip. I'd really like to know, because I am once again losing my mind wondering if my newly cutted (this time; outside, not in a greenhouse) trees on my new 1.18 world are bugged or I'm simply impatient again (it's been ~30 in-game days on a 12-day month setting).

I vaguely remember there was a bug where fruit trees RESTART their growth progress once the chunk is unloaded, but I simply don't want to believe that a bug of this magnitude would remain unfixed for so long. Nevertheless, in my current case, I do frequently go exploring, thus unloading the chunk, and so I would like some kind of confirmation that this is not the case anymore (couldn't actually find any in patch notes), if anyone is able to provide one.

Edited by Khornet
  • Like 1

What's the outside temperature? Fruit tree cuttings won't progress if it's too cold. It doesn't outright kill them, but they'll go dormant.

Your greenhouse won't help with it either. The greenhouse bonus only broadens the tree's vernalization temperature range; it does not apply to anything else.

• Like 1

Did some further testing on a copied world in creative. Right now, seems to be a severe bug related to importing blocks/entities from previous worlds into 1.18 worlds.
After planting NEW fruit trees and setting world speed to 120000 I could confirm they DO grow properly. However, the ones planted before the 1.18 world, migrated via console (export/import) command, seem to be completely "paused" - there is no progress in their growth whatsoever. This also applies to successfully planted, immature trees - no new branch/leaf blocks will spawn, their growth is simply halted.

This also applies to migrated entities, that is animals. My goat is stuck at "Several days until ready to mate" and my pigs are stuck pregnant (for 3 consecutive years in ultra speed).

I'm going to write a bug report on this. Extremely lame issue to be honest.

EDIT:
OH MY GOD

SUDDENLY, EVERYTHING DID GROW. All my CROPS, trees EVERYTHING, and the animal status "unpaused" too!

AND I THINK I KNOW WHY
THAT'S BECAUSE I PLANTED ALL OF THAT AROUND YEAR 3 ON MY WORLD PRE 1.18 AND THE TIMER ON EVERYTHING FROZE UNTIL IT REACHED THAT DATE ON THE NEW 1.18 WORLD
I HAD NO IDEA THIS IS HOW THE GAME ACTUALLY WORKS

Edited by Khornet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LJim said:

Huh. This is interesting. I know it affected crops, but didn't know it affected livestock too. That explains why I haven't had any new animals birthed. Thanks! 

Yes. Animals, crops, and fruit trees as well, regardless of their growth stage. Even if they're grown, they won't spawn new leaf blocks. Unsure if normal tree sapling are affected - I think they operate on a countdown timer basis, instead of a date.

Berry bushes are also unaffected - they're on a countdown timer between stages that pauses only when the temperature is too low.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.