Beyond steel

Khornet

Are there any plans/ideas about going to tier 6 tools/weapons/armor?

Steel alloys come to mind, naturally, but they aren't as much as tougher, but more valued due to their various chemical properties. Most notably, chromium (that exists in-game already) is used to make stainless steel.

The only real "better" metal would be the one with ultimate tensile strength - titanium, which is quite difficult to extract and process IRL already - the earliest method was a chemical process conducted in the early 90s known as the Hunter process. I can't even imagine duplicating something like that via in-game mechanics. Titanium ore IS actually generated through worldgen already, so the potential is there.

Edited by Jacob Kos

I think there are plans for stainless steel (most likely in the form of chrome-nickel steel). Unsure if that would be a whole new tool tier, or if it would simply result in additional durability. Like meteoric iron is a higher-durability sidegrade of regular iron.

I highly doubt we're ever getting titanium, aluminium and uranium refining in the base game, given the amouts of energy and specialized equipment (and purified chemicals in some cases) required to make it work. The in-universe world of Vintage Story is in a renaissance era kind of development stage, and so, early steam power is the highest peak of technology that the dev team has so far mentioned (as an aspirational goal, mind you, not a guaranteed thing).

But given that the source material is already there, mods can take up the torch.

Edited by Streetwind
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Like meteoric iron is a higher-durability sidegrade of regular iron.

That is actually untrue, meteoric iron is also superior in tool speed, weapon damage, and armor protection, so it's a direct upgrade to iron, albeit a slight one.

I wondered about stainless steel but it doesn't seem to make sense, since weapon durability is related to their usage, not rust and such. 
As for the renaissance technology stuff, the game is only consistent in this regard as far as player-made crafting comes, but it has plenty of technological stuff beyond that - like locusts and translocators (which are borderline magic - as further implied by the "prima materia" in-game lore).  The game's design doesn't seem to be completely against us working around such technology, as evidenced by the hacking spear and fixing translocators - so I do have some hope that we'll be able to purify titanium for forging through some imaginative means.

As for uranium, I do not have any idea for its practical purpose whatsoever, suffice to say atom-splitting is well beyond whatever the game might offer technologically.

1 hour ago, Jacob Kos said:

That is actually untrue, meteoric iron is also superior in tool speed, weapon damage, and armor protection, so it's a direct upgrade to iron, albeit a slight one.

It is the same tool tier though, which is what I meant, since you specifically asked for another tool tier.

23 hours ago, Dizuki said:

I think it was said that the game doesn't plan to expand past steel (not sure if that also includes stainless) but they wanted to encourage mod makers to go beyond. I think they have alot of features plan within the tech levels already available. 

The devs never said that. In fact they had a roadmap for it that includes "steam"-based tech.

To note there are titanium plate and other stuff in the creative which means there are still planning it. I'm not a heavy rely on mods and much want to see the game grow over time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.