map system

Ultimaheart4

ive noticed that the world map when looking at it doesnt show all of the world gen all of the time just what is around you. i know i can see the waypoints i have but its annoying to travel 2k-8k blocks away and halfway realize i shouldve taken a small detour because of giant mountains or because of ocean between me and the location im trying to travel too. tbh ive had to get use to not using the map at all, not even the minimap because i seem to be able to remember better personally then what the map provides. so far all i use it for is marking ore veins, on top of it we still have to use the command lines to mark waypoints ( this is reasonable and already mentioned to change at some point.) but can we please get a map that is painted in of the locations we have been to? and only update the graphics of it when you reload the chunk and update said large world map? tbh i think almost every map mod ever for minecraft has done something similar to what i have explained...? i could always be wrong. maybe there is even an option somewhere that i can change to have it work correctly but it isnt explained anywhere or atleast not very well. 

I think it'd be interesting if (in survival mode, at least) the player had to have paper and a compass, maybe even a writing instrument, in their hotbar in order to get a persistent map.  I'd even even suggest different levels of map detail and radius dependent on the instruments the player has.

Various other map ideas discussed in this thread.

Archived