Jump to content

Severity of winters in warmer climates


Dazze
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey.

Me and a friend have been playing on our own server for quite a while now. We've been planning out how we were going to survive the winter by storing food, fixing clothes and lastly we walked really really really far south to get to warmer climates.
However, it's now middle of October, and the temperature has barely gone below 15 degrees during the nights, and usually stays at around 20 during the days.
The problem is that we were both looking forward the thrill of surviving winter, but it feels now that we made it too easy for ourselves and that we might not even get one. 
How cold does it get during warm climate winters, and how can we make it more harsh (i.e. through server commands)?

TLDR: We want the winters to be a little more intense, since we may have made it too easy for ourselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Dazze said:

How cold does it get during warm climate winters

That depends entirely on how far south you went. You can check with /wgen pos latitude.

Also, what version of the game are you running? In 1.16.1 there used to be a bug with the day/night temperature variation, making it too small (i.e. days didn't get as hot as they should and nights didn't get as cold as they should). 20 degrees daytime temperature and 15 degrees nighttime doesn't sound right. If you are on 1.16.1, consider updating to 1.16.5, there's been quite a few good changes and fixes besides that one bug.

 

36 minutes ago, Dazze said:

and how can we make it more harsh (i.e. through server commands)?

/worldconfig globalTemperature controls how hot or cold the world is overall, independent of latitude. The default value is 1. Values greater than 1 make things hotter, values smaller than 1 make it colder. Do not set 0 or negative. I recommend starting in intervals of removing 0.1 and seeing what it does.

Note: I've not used that command myself before. There is a chance that it might only affect newly generated chunks, due to the way Vintage Story does world generation. But it could also be a global modifier. I don't know. You'll have to test it.

...And then, of course, there's /tp [playername] [coordinates] to return you to your starting position up north, where the winters are more intense :P Provide coordinates in the format ~x ~y ~z, replacing letters with numbers, to teleport that amount of blocks into that direction. Or without the tilde to teleport to that specific coordinate.

Edited by Streetwind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, thank you. I didnt expect to get an answer this detailed! 😄

 

35 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

That depends entirely on how far south you went. You can check with /wgen pos latitude.

I guessing we are 11000 (blocks?) south, considering our coordinates are: -110, 110, 11000
I can't say with 100% certainty, but im pretty sure we didn't change the world size option when generating the game. We are also in a regular grassland/plains biome.

 

39 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Also, what version of the game are you running? In 1.16.1 there used to be a bug with the day/night temperature variation, making it too small (i.e. days didn't get as hot as they should and nights didn't get as cold as they should). 20 degrees daytime temperature and 15 degrees nighttime doesn't sound right. If you are on 1.16.1, consider updating to 1.16.5, there's been quite a few good changes and fixes besides that one bug.

We both update our games as soon as a new update comes out. The server is being hosted by g-portal, and i can't really say what version that one is running, but we believe it updates itself automatically, since it has done that for the previous updates.

 

52 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

/worldconfig globalTemperature controls how hot or cold the world is overall, independent of latitude. The default value is 1. Values greater than 1 make things hotter, values smaller than 1 make it colder. Do not set 0 or negative. I recommend starting in intervals of removing 0.1 and seeing what it does. [...]
...And then, of course, there's /tp [playername] [coordinates] to return you to your starting position up north, where the winters are more intense :P Provide coordinates in the format ~x ~y ~z, replacing letters with numbers, to teleport that amount of blocks into that direction. [...]

I read about the command on the wiki now, and it did appear you were right about it only working with new chunks. But i could always try it.
Main reason we don't want to tp/move away from here is because we've already build a big base/town here, and gotten too attached to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Streetwind gave an excellent and comprehensive reply.

 

Just to add that my spawn is in a very warm area - can't grow turnips for example as too hot.

 

Yet the winters are cold enough to need fully repaired clothing, and you'll still freeze if out for too long.

 

The key factor in my case I think is the "body temperature" setting during world generation, which determines how resilient you are to the cold.

In an existing world, see here for commands to increase your chances of freezing to death 🥶https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=Temperature

Enjoy!

 

You may also be interested in this post:

 

TheDancingFox.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.