Winter

daniel

What is really different during the winter comparing to the summer: better transportation (ice instead of water) vs poor visibility and low temperature.

So you don't look for visible resources but deal with known. Either known ores, known traders or points of interest (poi) such as known caves.

my tasks for the winter are:

1) caves exploration. Any cave you've seen during the summer - are marked for later winter' exploration.

2) meteoric iron lookup - it is much easier to look for meteoric on the map during winter. And consequent digging it.

3) Projects building. My windmill with 8 rotors, on >170 block' level for max speed bonus, was done during winter time.

4) known resources dig up. Iron, coal, clay, known surface and deep copper etc.

5) smithing trips - take a forge, coal, anvil, hammer and 10 ingots of each type (tin bronze, bismuth, black if you are really rich :)) etc) - 5-6 slots, run between the traders, smith and sell them tools on place. 20 ingots * 5 gears at least per ingot = 100 rusty gears per trip. Enough to buy everything you want. One trip to 5-6 traders = 5-6 days at least. On normal speed - you spent 1/3 of winter for this.

6) look for very specific deep resources such as ilmenite, halite or anthracite.

7) building stone paths to poi-s such as traders or resin trees.

Edited by BenLi

On 10/1/2022 at 1:52 PM, BenLi said:

2) meteoric iron lookup - it is much easier to look for meteoric on the map during winter. And consequent digging it.

Why is that? Id be curious to know what to look for in that regard. I usually only find Meteoric Iron by coincidence.

Also to answer the OP I 100% recommend building a gigaroad south a few thousand blocks (or just run it normal) and having a summer home. Way more fun!

On 10/3/2022 at 8:11 AM, Copperman said:

Why is that? Id be curious to know what to look for in that regard

Summer time' colors are less distinctive to see round shaped holes in the ground. Such as 1 block lower, 3-4 block radius round shapes in generally flat area, with one or cross shaped hole 1 additional block lower.

In summer it is only green and more green, while in winter it is white and grey.

Edited by BenLi

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.