pit kiln/regular kiln questions.

Anthony frailey

No... not yet annyway. But you're not the only one raising eyebrows over this lack of options.

At this point I would like to point out the paradox of you, or anyone else for that matter, ascribing lack of features to an unfinished game.

Vintage Story is already deeper than minecraft is ever going to be. I am eagerly awaiting to see just how far they will take it.

11 hours ago, BigBadBeef said:

lack of features to an unfinished game

I have the slight feeling that the devs left some obvious, er, "holes", so that modders can step in, thus promoting the modding aspect of VS...

12 hours ago, Anthony frailey said:

but i can find nothing in handbook or online

You can try QPTech. I installed it because of the irrigation pipes and ended up with full blown factory setup.

On 11/22/2022 at 8:12 AM, Ivan Stamenov said:

I have the slight feeling that the devs left some obvious, er, "holes", so that modders can step in, thus promoting the modding aspect of VS...

I am a master fabricator. I do not say this to brag, but rather to express that I know how build something from scratch.

When you build something, you don't do it like "a little bit here, a little bit there".

You male wholistic pieces, phases. You finish smaller parts that you then merge into bigger parts. And even then, there are certain parts that can only be fitted once everything else is complete.

So those obvious holes you see isn't room left for modders per sé, these are actual components that developers have put aside to be done at a later date due to limited resources or lack of time.

Sure, modders can still step in to temporarily fill the gap, some may even do it so well that the developers will leave it be as it is or just port into the game as a standard feature.

18 minutes ago, BigBadBeef said:

these are actual components that developers have put aside to be done at a later date due to limited resources or lack of time.

I am not a member of the dev team and hence I can not say whether more advanced ways of baking pottery are part of the roadmap or not. That's why I said that "I have a feeling". And the "holes" thingy should be interpreted as "upgrade possibilities". Currently the player has a way to produce pottery (pit kilns), so the minimum is present and potentially can never be upgraded upon (by the original dev team).

30 minutes ago, BigBadBeef said:

I am a master fabricator. I do not say this to brag, but rather to express that I know how build something from scratch.

I like and respect when people are proud of their work. This means that they put soul and heart in it. And this is rarely seen lately, unfortunately. As a software engineer (a real one, not in the microsoft terms) who designs and implements complex solutions for over 20 years now, I can safely say that the sloppy slobs are far more common...

• Like 1

If there are plans for advanced kiln I hope current primitive method will stay. New kiln should be more efficient (no need for stick and straw) but significantly harder to make. Maybe using bloomery mechanic (expendable kiln) or refractory bricks (reusable kiln) could work.

28 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

cementation furnace mechanic where a permanent building is heated to fire the clay items.  Maybe make the internal space no more than a 3x3x3 interior space and built from refractory bricks

That is exactly what I meant ;) to make a kiln reusable you must build a structure from refractory bricks. But I thought about 1x1 interior. Your idea about 3x3x3 is great as it would enable firing more than one kind of ceramics saving fuel and time. But maybe 2 blocks high is enough as only ground level would be used to place raw items. 

Kilns are not that complex. ( I think i got an idea if chiseling will work on surrounding blocks. Will test this in a few. )

You could make a simple kiln, thats coal fired much like a bloomery in game.  fireclay. but you shouldn't lose bricks in use. Just basically remove top off to  load/unload. 
Technically pit kiln would never get hot enough for real ceramics , you'd get utility bisque temps only, and have to smooth your clay with slip-mud made from even finer clay and water mixes, and re-fire to hold liquids. Then combo of scrubbing black soot off, or polishing with a smooth stone after that. 

I'm a potter/stoneware artist in RL ... my hobby has bit of influence on whats available in game. 
I find it fine, to pit kiln for wares... 
I usually craft one from early game cobble and slap up a crude roof over it, anywhere from 4-6 "pits" in a square-honeycomb like fashion.) 

I just find those bulky and outdated to use, after reaching ability to make copper and glass and bronze. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.