Does translators get paid on their work to translate the game?

Ruyeex

No it's not that simple since you have to sacrifice a lot of your time on translating a lot of stuff since there's over 62000+ words to complete.

And no you don't just copy+paste for sake of it you need a sense on the language you want to translate

Edited by Ruyeex

You are volunteering to translate for others and for yourself, if you don't want to do it, don't do it. If you DO want to volunteer your time and effort, go for it, but I don't think vintage is a big enough game that it has dev budget to spend paying people to translate to every other language on earth, nor is it a AAA game that wants to hit as many markets as possible. 

Would it be nice if translators would get paid? sure. Is it a priority? probably not. I personally don't know, but I imagine you could contribute small chunks of translations as it suits you, so you don't have to spend time working on it like a job and still make progress on getting vintage to have your native tongue. Again, I wouldn't know so don't take my word for it, I'm just saying you aren't being asked to translate nor being hired for it so if volunteering doesn't work for you, don't.

The thing I dislike is the fact that in my country there aren't many people who can test the translation or even help much on it.

I only thing I can think of a solution is to give translators game keys for testing as a reward bcs of their work.

Edited by Ruyeex

Hi,

The most important thing to consider is the amount of players and possible new players which would benefit from this and complexity of the new language. So if you want translation to, for example, swahili, then probably it is not going to happen unless some good soul decides to do it for free. 

VS is a small title with many things made by players pro publico bono. The suggestion to award translators game keys is a little short-sighted because as the game changes and gets new content, so the translations should be constantly updated. 

So if your native language is used by small population then you should do as we all did: learn english to not need translations. 

Are you implying that it is not patriotic to play a game in foreign language or learning said language? 

English nowadays is a global tool for comunication like French until XX century (The French are still a little sore about that). Prior to French Latin served that purpose in middle ages but for Romans Greek was the common tongue. And thanks to Greek we deciphered the language of Ancient Egypt.

Playing a game in foreign language or even learning it will not kill your own. 

6 hours ago, Ruyeex said:

The thing I dislike is the fact that in my country there aren't many people who can test the translation or even help much on it.

I only thing I can think of a solution is to give translators game keys for testing as a reward bcs of their work.

I understand you, I translated the whole game to slovak language by myself and it was a lot of work in my free time between my work, wife and kids.

It took me several weeks. Yes, some game keys would be nice, I could give it to someone as a gift, but I don't think this is something you can expect.

• Like 1

I would guess translation is not going to be very important aspect until it gets nearer to full release. Things are in a state of flux, there are changes in the text from version to version. I'd guess lore in particular has a ways to go and will go through many revisions. What I'm saying is that a translation for 1.17 might mostly work for 1.18, but would require someone to go over it again at least to make updates for the revisions, assuming you can filter on the text changes. And then, as someone said above, that translation has to be the cause of enough extra sales to make it worthwhile, not just for Tyron, but also for you.

Depending on what language you are talking about, Tyron has no way of knowing how good your translation is. And, frankly, a translator who thinks the language he is translating is a killer does not inspire confidence.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.