Tags/collars/names for livestock

Echoweaver

OK, I might not want to actually NAME an animal just to be sure I'm targeting the right one to slaughter....

It's pretty frustrating to do something to a specific animal in a pen, like say slaughter the livestock from the older generation. The other animals all look the same and wander around in front of your field of view and confusing which one you're looking at.

I'd love to be able to tag or collar livestock by, say, sex and generation so that I can deal with husbandry in a more straightforward way.

• Like 3
  • Cookie time 1

Targeting the right hitbox does leave something to be desired. I usually just build multiple pens with gates between, leaving the gates open, and then when slaughter time comes around, shut the gates and kill all the stock in whatever pens have the older generations.

Is your idea that you could designate certain tags for culls? That would certainly make things easier, though maybe limit it to the cleaver? Making a good reason to bother with one and all? Weapons still use the hitbox method?

On 5/10/2023 at 10:56 AM, Thorfinn said:

Targeting the right hitbox does leave something to be desired. I usually just build multiple pens with gates between, leaving the gates open, and then when slaughter time comes around, shut the gates and kill all the stock in whatever pens have the older generations.

And here I've been chasing the immature offspring through gates to segregate them from the soon to be harvested older generation.  Do you mean they'll self-segregate?

I would like to name aminals so that they don't despawn in my zoo though.  Especially the more predatory ones.

Edited by Maelstrom

No, they just wander aimlessly, but if I build small enough pens, 2x2 or 3x3, when I slam all the gates shut it's pretty easy to find at least one pen of old generation stock or excess adult males. Slaughter, open gates, go process into meals, and by the time I get back, another set of cullable critters has randomly ended up in one of the pens. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.