Why do we have to shave trees first to get saplings?

doomstrike53

Is there a reason we have to do this for sticks and saplings? It just seems unnecessarily tedious to me, and realistically I would chop down the tree first then scavenge all that stuff on the ground instead of having to climb it. If by chance anyone knows of a mod to change this I'd be interested to try it out.

Yes I know there are shears later on that really help, but either way my point is that it's unnecessarily tedious and doesn't make sense from a realistic standpoint.

Edited by doomstrike53

There are various things about a game (especially survivally type games) that are there for game-play/balance reasons that are not realistic.  I think this is one of those things.  Shearing trees to get sticks and saplings represents time spent harvesting those items not necessarily that sticks and seeds (not saplings) need to be gathered from the tree canopy before felling the tree.

Personally, I like the way it's done. Well, other than it consumes a point of durability for every leaf block, but doesn't give you the drops. Either give me the sticks or only count the actual logs into durability, thanks.

I've tried OneStick, and the problem with it is you end up having to burn sticks or throw them away or something crazy like that. Rather than be something relatively valuable that you specifically seek out, it's trash filling your inventory.

I just sort of viewed that work as the equivalent to Coppicing.  Or doing the topping and other work you generally want to do before felling the tree. 

Specific handling to "get" specific products. And "sticks" are a pretty broad thing given all the items the substitute for.

On 7/31/2023 at 10:00 PM, Thorfinn said:

Personally, I like the way it's done. Well, other than it consumes a point of durability for every leaf block, but doesn't give you the drops. Either give me the sticks or only count the actual logs into durability, thanks.

I've tried OneStick, and the problem with it is you end up having to burn sticks or throw them away or something crazy like that. Rather than be something relatively valuable that you specifically seek out, it's trash filling your inventory.

im not big fan of it and personaly i prefer what game ECO did

as in that game you chop tree who leaves stump , entire tree falls down (who you need to chop onto logs one by one) and to get seeds choped tree leaves branches/shaving debree all over when it was choped and removing has chance to give you seeds

so choping single tree can be quite lots work , removing stumps to have room to replant trees , debree (who mind you when tree falls/creates debree it destroys any plants in area) , to choping it into small logs (if you do it wrong logs are too big and you got to slice them further) all eats into durability of tools

and it feels fun , satisfying and makes sense

in vintage story getting saplings feels tedious as quite often lots trees will be hard to reach and dont feels very "endgadging to player"

(i tried to link timestamp , if it failed its 18:53 )

Edited by Varenvel
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.