Why do I randomly get hurt when digging deep down?

Masterbio
Go to solution Solved by Thorfinn,

I was digging a hole down straight from the surface in an area with interesting prospecting results. Every now and then while digging I lost half an hit point, but about 40-50 blocks down I started getting "hit" and losing 5-6 hit points every 30 or so seconds, I got immediately up and it stopped. My gear was at 80% and nothing hit me of course, what could it be?

7 hours ago, Streetwind said:

One of the chat tabs will report the exact amount of damage you are taking, as well as the exact source. You could check what it says when this happens?

Thank you, that was very helpful. Unfortunately it seems a bug, as I'm getting damage by gravity. It might be related to the fact that I have a deep pit with ladders going down (see screenshot below). My guess is that, at some point while climbing down, the game thinks I fell and gave me damage that accumulated while going down. Is this bug documented?

image.thumb.png.3b1c80b67ecd6d971d26b9498d789a7e.png

• Solution

I'd have to look but I think that's the message you (used to) get when you are actually inside the ladder. Which it looks like you might be. Usually happens when you place a ladder into an air block you currently occupy. Try backing away from the ladder as far as you can and see if it stops. You might even have to knock out a couple blocks on the side opposite the ladder to get sufficiently clear. IIRC, you can also remove the ladder sections you are on, back away from the ladder, then descend a few blocks and replace the ladder where your character is not.

[EDIT]

To clarify, I think it happens when you are standing too close to the wall the ladder is on and use the feature of ladders automatically adding to the tops/bottoms of existing ladders. Those ladder sections don't seem to get the same kind of collision checks.

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn

On 11/8/2023 at 9:31 PM, Thorfinn said:

I'd have to look but I think that's the message you (used to) get when you are actually inside the ladder. Which it looks like you might be. Usually happens when you place a ladder into an air block you currently occupy. Try backing away from the ladder as far as you can and see if it stops. You might even have to knock out a couple blocks on the side opposite the ladder to get sufficiently clear. IIRC, you can also remove the ladder sections you are on, back away from the ladder, then descend a few blocks and replace the ladder where your character is not.

[EDIT]

To clarify, I think it happens when you are standing too close to the wall the ladder is on and use the feature of ladders automatically adding to the tops/bottoms of existing ladders. Those ladder sections don't seem to get the same kind of collision checks.

[/EDIT]

You are correct, I dug a 1x1 hole and going up before adding any ladder step solved this issue. Also I noticed that when i reload the game, some portions of the ladder that were placed had now disappeared, more or less where I got damaged. Since I am now more careful to place them, they are not disappearing anymore.

Is this a known bug? Should I report it?

My understanding from that thread was someone was going to turn in a bug report, but I have no idea if it happened. Wouldn't hurt to check. Or even submit one. If it already know about it, they will mark it as a known one, and include a link to it, giving someone else twice the chance of finding it when they wonder whether to turn in a bug or not.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.