Will water in a bucket cool hot metal items like water source blocks?

Chuckerton
Go to solution Solved by Bumber,

I'm working on a blacksmithing area, and I wanted to have a place I can throw metal items off the anvil (or forge) to cool them faster, so I don't have to run to the nearby (frozen) lake. 

I want to know if I can just put water in a barrel and have the same effect. It would look nicer than having a source block in my opinion, and it might have the added benefit of not freezing in winter (like the rather harsh one I'm having now). I would just make the barrel myself and test it to find out, but I don't have the resources on hand right now and I really don't want to spend some on a barrel if it's not going to work so I'd like to know beforehand. 

• Solution

No. Neither buckets nor barrels work. The basic solution is to use chiseled blocks around a source block to create a fake container. (Bonus tip: Watering cans cool down hot ingot and item molds.)

There's a mod that makes barrels work. You have to place the item in the barrel slot instead of just tossing it in, though.

Edited by Bumber

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.