New cage trap in 1.19

McOrigin

I have been playing the 1.19 RC for about 14 hours now. After updating to RC 5 the animal spawn around my base has improved: found some pigs I round up in a temporary enclosure, learned that new species of goats can somehow escape 2 high fences and got some success with the new animal trap:

First I caught some young poult which grew up to egglaying hens. Unfortunately no male so far and the area where the traps were set up seems to be empty now.

By luck I found a piglet in a small cave with a dead end, dug a skylight and set up the cage trap with onions and caught it as well to carry it home.

And finally I caught a grown up male hare. We can't domesticate them, can we? But do they breed on their own in a protected enclosure?

What have you caught so far?

Edited by McOrigin
Typo..

Yes. Somehow they escaped my temporary enclosure: first a regular 1.5 regular fence or 2 high dirt block side wall of the valley I chased them through. Then afterwards they escaped a 2.5 high fence or 3 high dirt block wall twice.

Have them in 3.5 fences / 4 block wall now.

Nit even sure of their exact species yet, because I don't want to chase them in their small enclosure now..

11 hours ago, McOrigin said:

And finally I caught a grown up male hare. We can't domesticate them, can we? But do they breed on their own in a protected enclosure?

Breeding rabbits is...  difficult to nearly impossible.  They will eat food dropped on the ground, but the food may despawn before they eat enough to breed.  I suppose you could plant crops in a large bunny hutch for them to feast upon as well.

10 hours ago, McOrigin said:

Yes. Somehow they escaped my temporary enclosure: first a regular 1.5 regular fence or 2 high dirt block side wall of the valley I chased them through. Then afterwards they escaped a 2.5 high fence or 3 high dirt block wall twice.

Have them in 3.5 fences / 4 block wall now.

Nit even sure of their exact species yet, because I don't want to chase them in their small enclosure now..

I did some testing myself. All the goats and deer seem to climb 3 high blocks. Hopefully, someone can mod that behavior out so we can have options. I have Boer, Alpine and Nubian goats IRL that they're frisky and avid climbers but I've never seen them traverse a 90-degree flat wall. 

• Thanks 1

You can change stepHeight in:

assets/survival/entities/land/hooved/deer.json
assets/survival/entities/land/hooved/goat.json

You can use ModMaker (comes with the game) to turn that change into a mod.

There was special code in 1.18 that animals (in particular bears) can't simply climb over fences. In 1.18, I've had glitches with bears getting over 1 high fences, but not with 2 high ones.

Edited by sushieater

The stepHeight has been consistend for Bighorn sheep in RC6:

• Tweak: Bighorn sheep step height changed to 3, to match goats. Moose step height now 2

It kind of makes sense wit hthe current terrain generation which creates a lot of high cliffs. I found quite a lot of crushed animals near some montains at my base. And I found a bear which spawned on a rock spire and did not walk down on his own.

I don't like that and I will have a look into adjusting that settings regarding stepHeight. Thank you very much for the hint!

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it's the same for other animals but I have had gen 1 piglets and a lamb climb over 2.5 block walls. They seem to only be able to do it when in a corner so to overcome this I put a slab 'roof' at the end of each pen wall. I've noticed that frightened animals tend to run into the corners first.

I might even have caught a glimpse of a tiny pickaxe as one of the piglets scaled the wall but then again I might just be playing too much of this game 🤣

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.