Cellar insulation question

Myszkou

Yes and no. You can still get a cellar benefit, but incoming light reduces it a lot. You definitely don't want a glass roof. A glass wall to a dark room works just fine - you still have have a proper cellar.

Edited by sushieater
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Owktree said:

Glass and ice are "holes" in cellars from what I have read elsewhere.  I'd advise sticking to rock, dirt, etc. for your cellar walls and surfaces.  Plus a nice solid door.

I can't get over the fact that there appears to be no "good" cellar door. Not even passing through 2 doors airlock-style does it. I still refuse to take the hit, so use packed earth for my "door".

Edited by Thorfinn

While I have not tested this in 1.19 yet, I usually have a vessel under the outside wall under a flipped stair (now that the slab supposedly does not work) for the stuff I want quick access to. Twelve crocks of food lasts a mighty long time.

On 2/4/2024 at 4:37 PM, Thorfinn said:

I can't get over the fact that there appears to be no "good" cellar door. Not even passing through 2 doors airlock-style does it. I still refuse to take the hit, so use packed earth for my "door".

The wiki states "wooden doors and trapdoors count for enclosing cellars". I'm going to try a trapdoor in my house so I guess that would sort of match your 2 door airlock system, but the wiki also went on to state "rough doors and sleek doors do not" so I'm not sure if that's your problem

Hmmm. That must be a change. A few versions ago, I set a jam on the floor of a valid cellar, and tried using a door and pretty much every blocktype. That's before there was a rough door. I don't remember the specifics, but of the things that made sense to use, cobblestone, dirt and packed earth gave the longest shelf life, hay and the door were worse, but I don't recall which was better than the other. In any event, for as little as I needed to access the cellar, why bother with the "convenience" of a door? Particularly when you could fairly easily put 6 vessels under a single staircase and get the benefits of a cellar without any of the hassle. 

[EDIT]

I don't use the wiki. I'd rather figure it out on my own, and back when I first started, there was quite a little of the information there that was not right. Maybe it was from another version, but for whatever reason, actual play experience differed.

I'm not knocking wiki, those who update it, or those who use it. Just that I consider it as subject to being wrong as any other thing called wiki.

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn

I'm pretty sure I tested all that before rough doors were a thing. It would not surprise me if things were tweaked in the meanwhile. Then again, until the stair gets the same treatment the slab got, I don't see much of a point to a cellar. It's just a 1-deep hole with a vessel, with a stair on top. If you are a little creative with crouching, I think you can access as many as 13 vessels through that one stair. Maybe 5 (possibly 8 )more than that. I've never had the desire to go beyond 6, rarely more than 3, and generally only 1. It's not like stairs are that hard to come by...

Edited by Thorfinn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.