If possible, make it easier to for people to purchase and install this game.

Hello! :)

Ok, let me see if I can clarify on the title. I've been using Steam for a few years now, and I have to say it really gets you used to it doing everything for you. And that is saying a lot since prior to that I manually installed all of my games. The point is, the process of purchasing and installing this game is bit much, and may deter some people. Specifically what I am talking about is the the dual account registration and game key registration. I understand the need for protecting your game and content you make, no arguments there. What I want to suggest is a way to stream line this process you already have, so it is less work. Automate, more of it in some way. I found myself confused by the dual account registration, and even logging into this forum, it asks for my e-mail instead of my game user name.

Is there a way to make it so only one account is needed, and maybe suggest possible available user name variants if the one you tried is taken?

Going with a platform that is trustworthy and usable might help, like GOG?

https://www.gog.com/galaxy

GOG Galaxy is basically a deployable platform for indie titles, unlike Steam I don't think they take any cuts?

EDIT: Looks like they do, and things has changed over the years.

Itch.io lets the developer set the cut, but there seems to be technical issues with it's backend regarding consumer friendly features.

In the end though, I think Vintage Story might take the same approach as Mojang did and use their own launcher for their own online communities and maybe public servers of sorts one day?

Edited by Dra6o0n

On 4/3/2024 at 10:32 AM, Dra6o0n said:

GOG Galaxy is basically a deployable platform for indie titles, unlike Steam I don't think they take any cuts?

EDIT: Looks like they do, and things has changed over the years.

Itch.io lets the developer set the cut, but there seems to be technical issues with it's backend regarding consumer friendly features.

In the end though, I think Vintage Story might take the same approach as Mojang did and use their own launcher for their own online communities and maybe public servers of sorts one day?

Hi Dra6o0n,

Maybe, Though like you found out, every third party game selling platform takes their own cut. I chose to buy it direct as it was the least expensive option compared to Humble Bundle and Itch.io. And in theory supports the developers financially the best.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2024 at 4:32 PM, Dra6o0n said:

GOG Galaxy is an optional launcher, not a sales platform. That is GOG. 

GOG is not a suitable sales platform as Vintage Story requires a login for playing and that is frowned upon by users of GOG. Also you will have to provide functional offline installer for Vintage Story which would have to function without any login.

See also the GOG Hitman disaster: https://kotaku.com/hitman-goty-edition-removed-from-gog-over-online-drm-1847833140

On GOG it is expected that you buy the game and play it without any checks or logins to (from the perspective of a GOG customer) a 3rd party login. In the worst case, that also could spell doom to Vintage Story itself, as such a backlash will occur onto the game as long as the login is mandatory.

( personally, I don't mind the login in the game )

Edited by shakeyourbunny

GOG doesn't really have issues over logins or serials for on-line play. Single-player, yes, that's a problem. Local play, maybe. Yeah, there are squeaky wheels, but they mostly get ignored. Games like Terraria just hope the piracy will be kept to a dull roar.

The way VS works, it almost certainly would be an issue, because even if you are playing single player, if you are on-line at the time, you might have to log in, and you will have to if you last played on your other computer.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.