Extensive guide or explanation of the chiseling system

xXx_Ape_xXx

Is there a guide to the many quirks and features of the chiseling system?

Like, how does one interact with the "decor" layer, and what can be done with this mysterious feature?

What about wallpapers? They mysteriously disappear when trying to chisel anything that already has been wallpapered, with no mentioning why anywhere I can find.

There seem to be a lot of "hidden" features in this game, that only is known about by those who have extensive knowledge of the game, but not mentioned for the mere average players like myself. Would be really interesting to see some more in-depth guides to some of this amazing games many aspects.

The most I've figured out so far:

1. Only full blocks can be chiseled. With default settings, the base block must also be a solid block that is unaffected by gravity(that is, not gravel or sand).

2. Right-click a block with a chisel in your main hand and hammer in your off-hand to turn it into a chiseled block. Left-click to remove pixels, right-click to add them back. Pressing "F" when targeting the block will open up a set of options to help chisel designs more efficiently.

3. To add material to the base chiseled block, press "F" to open the chisel menu, then drop blocks of the material you wish to add into the "+" icon. On default settings, added materials must be in full block form, and must qualify as stable enough to chisel. So blocks like sand and gravel can't be added, while others such as cracked stone can be added only under certain conditions. What these conditions are, I'm not certain, but what I've generally found is that materials like cracked stone can't really be used for really fine, delicate details unless it's a case where there is solid material behind it as a support(such as inlay on floor tiles, for example).

4. Blocks can be moved after chiseling, but I've not messed with it enough to see whether this can always be done without destroying the chiseled block. Generally, when I start chiseling something, I don't want to mess with it once I finish the work.

• Like 1

Appreciate the reply, and outlining the basic functions, but it's not quite what I was asking or hoping for. I apologise, I should maybe have worded my question a bit different, but english isn't my first language. I'm well aware of all what you mentioned in your post, and have done a fair bit of chisel work on various worlds and serves. You can see some of my work here.

The type of information I seek, let me give an example:

Did you know you can change the direction of texture of added materials to a chisel block? This is done by placing, lets say, a wood plank block, in the direction you want the grains to go, then right click it with the chisel, break it and then add it as a second block in your crafting grid with the host block you want to add the wooden texture to. This way your wooden texture in the block you're chiseling, will go in the direction you want it, and not in the "default" direction.

This type of info was all new to me, until I accidentally stumbled upon it, and not mentioned in any chiseling documentation (there hardly are any) that I have found.

This leads me to think (and hope) there are other "hidden" features like this in this game, that will further enhance the already incredible experience this game has to offer. I hope this can clarify a bit more, what type of information I'm looking for. Maybe some of the devs can enlighten us or create some documentation to features not widely known 🙂

The biggest technique I don't see from your screenshots is the use of wallpapers and linen on chiseled items, which you can use to create really nice looking furniture with "upholstery." Basically you can apply wallpaper or linen onto the side of a full block that you have already hit with the chisel (not a slab, though you can cut a full block down to a slab) and each voxel will get the texture applied to their face on that side. You can add and remove voxels and the wallpaper/linen will move accordingly with no loss.

This technique looks good but can be expensive, because you need multiple wallpapers/linens per block (the stool below needed 5 linen sheets to cover the top and 4 sides, and the couch needed 13 wallpapers to cover all the sides and armrests.) Fortunately you can break the chiseled blocks and the wallpaper/linen will stay attached, so rearranging your furniture will not require more wallpaper/linen to be applied.

Chisel.png.ff88c553d56b0222aa2402a03a2d606e.png

The main limitation is that the wallpaper/linen is applied over the entire face of the block, and there doesn't seem to be any way to partially uncover a block (that I know of), so there isn't much point in multi-block chiseling and any uncovered portions must be in another block space to be visible; for example, the couch's wood armrest panels are not in the same block space as the rest of the armrest and the stool's cloth top has to be in the block space above the legs or the wooden legs would also be covered with linen.

Unlike the rest of the chiseled block, wallpapers also cannot be rotated, so lining up the designs may depend on the orientation of the work or just may not be possible.

Edited by Silent Shadow
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, xXx_Ape_xXx said:

@Silent Shadow  How do you add linen to the block??

On a full block (not a slab), right click with the chisel/hammer combo to change the block's status to a "chiseled block," and then you can select linen/wallpaper and right click onto the face you want to cover.

Again, only the facets facing the side you applied the linen/wallpaper from will be covered:

2024-05-06_23-05-50.thumb.png.5ef4e6261c685ced84fc3076275d250c.png

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.