Farming question

Hussar

I'm a new user and love the game so far--it reminds me a lot of TerraFirmaCraft. 

About a day after I plant seed in farmland, the farmland "rejects" the seed.  Often I can collect it and try again.  I planted on medium fertility farmland, placed on a lakebed so it's 1 tile from water.  I used a flint hoe, while the starter guide says metal tools are required for farming, but the hoe actually worked and made farmland.

What might I be doing wrong?

Oh yea, since v1.10 stone hoes also work. I corrected that in the wiki now.

Your problem is likely not due to the farmland but to a certain animal that has found a liking to your crop garden - the hare 😉

Make sure your farm area is fenced in in a way that hares can't get in and that there's no grass covered blocks with tall grass growing on it inside (tall grass on farmland is okay).

I found a way to keep Peter Rabbit out of my garden, though I don't have a saw and can't make a proper fence.

I put ladders around my garden two blocks high.  One level might have worked.  I can still climb in and out (as well as monsters) but the hares can't get in!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.