Is there an item or method to increase breath underwater?

TamTroll
Go to solution Solved by TamTroll,

Found some ancient ruins that are deep, DEEP underwater in my world. I'd like to try and explore them, but my breath bar drains before i can even get close, and that's not even mentioning the whole "entire screen goes black" thing which is terrifying all on it's own :P

Don't suppose there's any kind of rebreather, or air-bladder or something maybe?

2024-05-28_17-36-47.png

What I usually do is dig an air pocket out of a wall and use that to refill the oxygen bar. The drawback to this method is that sometimes the water physics can get to flowing in such a way that you can't swim out of the hole you made.

There's also the world setting that determines how long you can stay underwater before you start drowning. As I recall, the default time is 40 seconds. I'm also not sure if you can change this setting after world creation, but I am assuming you can(though I do not know the command for it).

If you're not opposed to mods, this mod offers a skill that increases the amount of time you can spend underwater before drowning.
https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/247

Sink a ladder and build a series of static diving bells down to it. Then you can leave torches in the bell so they are easy to find.

[EDIT]

It could be done with as few as 6 blocks, one of which you retrieve to form the air pocket, but I'd use 8 (less 1) to make it easier to align getting in.

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn

25 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

Sink a ladder and build a series of static diving bells down to it. Then you can leave torches in the bell so they are easy to find.

[EDIT]

It could be done with as few as 6 blocks, one of which you retrieve to form the air pocket, but I'd use 8 (less 1) to make it easier to align getting in.

[/EDIT]

how would i sink a ladder? Build a floating dirt-bridge from the island, then make a dirt-pillar down a few blocks, and attach a ladder to it?

Not entirely sure what you're saying here sorry.

4 minutes ago, TamTroll said:

how would i sink a ladder?

Possibly the rope ladders--they can be lowered as opposed to regular ladders. They can also be easily retrieved when you're done. I don't know if you can put them in water though.

• Solution

Alright, so i was able to confirm, rope ladders WILL go underwater. AND you can build on them while underwater. It's a bit jank, but i was able to get a single dirt air-pod made at the bottom of the first group of rope ladders. Still not deep enough to get to the ruins, but I'm out of rope, and winter is coming, so i suspect this won't be proceeding forwards for awhile.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.