Obsidian arrow head

Your first post. Welcome!

There's room to give an extra quarter point, like happens with obsidian spears, but that extra quarter point doesn't translate into needing one fewer spear except four (to the best of my knowledge) cases -- corrupt and nightmare drifters, and two of the goats. Copper is one fewer spear almost across the board, and tin bronze is often one spear less than copper. There was a lot of thought put into the health and damage to make each new age an advantage.

But moving up from 2.75 to a full 3 makes a huge difference. One fewer arrow for surface drifters adds up fast. Basically, any creature whose Health is evenly divisible by 3 would require one fewer arrow. And then there are only a couple of creatures which copper is an improvement.

It could be done, but it would take away the point of bothering with copper arrows. Particularly since copper arrows also require fletching.

23 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

It could be done, but it would take away the point of bothering with copper arrows. Particularly since copper arrows also require fletching.

Not necessarily. Bare minimum give them the same stats as flint arrows, because it doesn't make sense to not have obsidian arrowheads, really, and that keeps them from potentially being overpowered. At the same time, I'm not sure that they would be too strong if they were at roughly the same level as copper, as copper is rather easy to find but obsidian I've only seen once or twice. Assuming the player settles near obsidian, there's usually plenty of it so they would probably forgo copper arrows in favor of obsidian then, in that case.

Better balancing might be to give the obsidian arrows the same attack as copper ones, but make the break chance the same as flint. So they do a bit more damage but still break at the same rate, giving the player a reason to pick copper over obsidian if they favor the bow. Personally, if I'm going hunting with a bow, I don't bother with copper arrowheads at all save for the ones I get from panning; flint works just fine until I get to iron/steel. And since flint arrows are so cheap, I don't have to bother with trying to find them after I shoot them.

• Like 1

I agree that logically obsidian arrowheads should exist. It's just that they've taken pains to make sure obsidian's big advantage is durability, not damage. Thus the very few critters where the extra damage makes a difference in spears. And that's true elsewhere, too. If you go after drifters, I think there's only one case where the obsidian axe is an advantage, the double headed, which you are not going to melee with in the stone age anyway. True, obsidian would make one hit difference if you were hunting deer with an axe, but who has ever seen a deer with an axe?

Probably the logical place to put them is identical to flint arrows, or possibly with the quarter point extra damage but a greater break chance. It is glass...

6 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

True, obsidian would make one hit difference if you were hunting deer with an axe, but who has ever seen a deer with an axe?

Very true. I prefer swords for the job.

6 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

Probably the logical place to put them is identical to flint arrows, or possibly with the quarter point extra damage but a greater break chance. It is glass...

I agree, though I also think the usefulness of it hinges a lot on the experience of the player. Newer players would probably get more use out of it, since they tend to struggle more with advancing due to lack of experience. So potential access to a stronger stone age material could have a bigger impact. A veteran player should already be aware of the advantage obsidian offers, but due to their experience they'll also be advancing much faster than average, so stone age stuff quickly becomes outclassed by better options.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.