Animal Aggression and diets

Booker42

I would be interested in seeing some variation in the animal aggression level depending on how hungry they were (or based on weight as that is already in game). A low weight wolf or bear might be more keen to attack than a good weight one who might choose to flee. 

I would also like to see bears eating the berries of the bushes (and fishing when that becomes more of a thing) as they are omnivores and most of their diet can be fish and berries. 

I would also like to see wolf aggression be effected by the number of wolves in their pack, a single wolf would be more likely to flee than 6. And having them flank/circle their prey would be a nice touch too.

Edited by Booker42
  • Like 4

I could've sworn I saw a bear eating berries from a bush in-game once, though I could also be mistaken. The suggestions sound really cool though and would help polish the animal AI a bit more. As it currently stands, they don't really do a whole lot, although some of them have some neat idle animations(like the roosters crowing).

Whatever happened in the past changed the behavior of animals to make them (for the most part) more aggressive.  It seems to me that they are sensitive to the dimensional shenanigans that have been played and they aren't too fond of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I would really love there to be more variation to animal aggression! I'm really new to the game, but just from the get-go it seems really weird that all the predators are SO on sight with you. Black bears are nowhere near as aggressive as brown bears, for example!

It would make a lot of sense for bears to be REALLY AGGRESSIVE in the Spring (just woke up, cranky, hungry), mostly ignore the player unless provoked in the Summer, and get focus heavily on foraging in the Fall. Maybe even a mechanic where the bears try to get into player food storage, if it's not in a cellar or stored properly? I also heavily agree with the berries comment - bears are definitely omnivores, they have a very diverse diet.

This might tie into larger animal overhaul, but I think it would be very cool for wolves and other creatures to have clear "dens," where they sleep and the pups spawn. Their aggression could be toned down towards the player unless they stumbled within range of a den. And again, seasonal variation would be good too - in the winter, wolves tend to be more well fed, so maybe they'd be less aggressive towards the player? Wolves go hungry in the summer, so maybe they could be more willing to take the chance? Since I'm new to this game, I'm not sure if this is a mechanic yet, but - are wolves willing to attack players alone? It would make sense to me for them to only attack a player in a group, too. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.