Varied Backpack Styles

ifoz

Backpacks are one of the essential items of VS. Every player either has them, or wants to have them.
And yet, for something that we all want/need, and for something that is always visible on our characters, there is only one style available.

I think it would be really cool if there were a few cosmetic styles of backpack, maybe with one special tailor-exclusive type too.
Thinking about it, class-specific backpack styles could be cool. Malefactor's with a blue sash draped over it, a more utilitarian Blackguard one, etc.
One sold by clothing traders for a ton of gears but that has a style that mimics that of the trader backpacks.

I just think it would be nice to have a few additional styles for the backpack. This way you could match the look of your backpacks to the character that you are playing. :D

Edited by ifoz
  • Like 3

• ifoz changed the title to Varied Backpack Styles

Until we get some, there are a couple mods that kinda cover this area:

https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/12391

https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/1061

The second one is pretty old, but according to a recent comment it apparently still works in 1.19.

Now all that being said...I'd love an antler rack-pack on my back! 🤣 Or one that's obviously made from a wolf/bear pelt. Not only would it look really cool, but it'd give me more things to do with all the hunting trophies I inevitably collect(seriously, if I play with the Stone Age Fauna mods my base ends up looking more like a Bass Pro than an actual home).

At the very least, some more function-specific bags similar to the mining bag would be great. A forage bag could hold berries, reeds, grass, seeds, and all the other plant harvestables. A quiver could be similar, in that it only holds arrows, but be unique in that it can be worn in the belt slot rather than taking up a bag slot. Perhaps a hunting bag could be crafted using some salt in its recipe, and be used to hold animal products and keep them fresh for a bit longer(thus extending the hunting trip possibilities).

You could probably also have a special bag that utilizes a handful of temporal gears and other more expensive materials in its construction, but serves to preserve its inventory if the player dies(soulbound inventory slots, essentially). I'd probably also make it an unique equip, in that you can only wear one at a time(but boost the amount of inventory it can hold by a slot or two perhaps). Or perhaps you can have them in every bag slot, but every time you die they lose a chunk of durability unless recharged with a temporal gear(maybe 3 gears per bag to craft, bag breaks after 3 deaths, adding a gear to a damaged bag restores one charge). Should the bag break, it spills its inventory at the death site.

And of course...can't forget the good ol' beer keg pack! This one would store liquid, presumably of the adult beverage variety. Why you'd want to sacrifice a bag slot to do this...I really don't know 🤣 I'm guessing it'd be mostly for grins, giggles, and other shenanigans given that it's a lot more efficient to transport liquids via bucket(10 L per bucket, 4 buckets per stack which equates to each inventory slot being worth 40 L).

• Like 2

Honestly I think there's a ton of potential in the backpack system for both aesthetic bags, and bags that are more than direct stat upgrades. The miner bags in the game begin to realise this, but they're the only type of "resource-specific bag" so far. It would be super interesting to see the addition of ideas like the ones you provided, as I think it would be more interesting if there was incentive to have different bag types, not just always have full backpacks all of the time. Still, bag variants would be really nice too. Probably only for the hunter backpacks and normal backpacks, since you can't see the others on your character.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ifoz said:

Probably only for the hunter backpacks and normal backpacks, since you can't see the others on your character.

Oh yeah, for sure. If nothing else, it could just be a cosmetic menu that has alternate appearances that unlock for doing various things in the world(plus an option to hide the backpack entirely). There was a Minecraft mod that did similar--it added a backpack item, but it also had different appearances that you could unlock and apply for doing various things. Collecting enough honey would unlock the honeyjar appearance, while slaying the enderdragon would unlock an End crystal. Perhaps in the case of Vintage Story, you could have say, a librarian pack after reaching the library of the Resonance Archive.

18 hours ago, ifoz said:

It would be super interesting to see the addition of ideas like the ones you provided, as I think it would be more interesting if there was incentive to have different bag types, not just always have full backpacks all of the time

I mostly got the idea from some of the bag options that WoW had for storing items related to professions. Those bags were typically a bit bigger than the standard bags, but only held stuff related to that profession. So they were useful for keeping things sorted and gathering materials, at least in theory...I'm honestly not sure if anyone used them though at the time I played. It's tough to challenge the leather backpack as the default choice, given that it holds a lot and is relatively cheap and easy to acquire.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.