Cellar for blue cheese

Dilan Rona

The blue cheese mechanics can be very tricky! You need to make sure the light level in the chosen cheese ripening room is basically zero, but that it's open to outside air directly. The part that usually trips people up is that it must be ripened in very cold weather only, or the cheese rots before turning into blue cheese.

My solution was, on a temperate start, to start the cheese ripening in late fall. For the light level, I dug a zig-zag tunnel back and forth to keep light out, and then put a layer of sticks to keep animals/drifters out.

It doesn't seem possible to make blue cheese anywhere it doesn't snow. It'll rot before ripening.

• Like 1

Good luck! It can be tricky, but as long as you keep the light very low (excluding lamps/lanterns), the temperature cool, and make certain that it isn't an enclosed room, it'll work. If it counts as a room or cellar, it won't work, as it has to be directly open to the air.

8 hours ago, StCatharines said:

It doesn't seem possible to make blue cheese anywhere it doesn't snow. It'll rot before ripening.

How about building a ladder to worldheight? Doubt you even have to get that high. I've run into hypothermia trying to set up a windmill when I had more axles than I had any idea what to do with, so put the sails at the top of the world.

Yes, I didn't have to go anywhere near that high, but I don't do Wiki and didn't know any better.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

How about building a ladder to worldheight? Doubt you even have to get that high. I've run into hypothermia trying to set up a windmill when I had more axles than I had any idea what to do with, so put the sails at the top of the world.

Yes, I didn't have to go anywhere near that high, but I don't do Wiki and didn't know any better.

That's a good point! You can absolutely make a ladder to a very high platform, as long as you follow the other rules for the open air and light to the not-cellar, and the game should calculate the outdoor temperature of that area as where the platform is. I'm not sure blue cheese is worth that effort, but it should be totally doable.

18 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

Personally, 'nuff said right there.

Whatever cheese I can't buy from the agricultural trader is not worth the effort. ;) 

That's fair. Myself, I like to have that dairy sat even when I'm not home to deal with animals, but I don't see the advantage of blue cheese over cheddar, as cheddar is far simpler and nearly foolproof to make.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.