Tracking slowly growing lag/fps drops?

So, I will start off by saying, yes, I have a couple mods for the game running.

Last day or so, I've noticed that if I play for over an hour at a time on my SP world, the game would progressively start to get an FPS drop. Usually starting from 150 average, down to 30 stutter. HOWEVER. If I go into the settings, and change SSAO from High to Medium, it returns back to 150 FPS, and the cycle repeats. Changing SSAO back to High after an hour has the same effect, which leads me to think it's something with the renderer.

To answer most general questions:

It's not a PC issue. I am on a Ryzen 5900x, 64gb of ram, and a RTX 4070TI.

Plenty of free space on my drive,

All Drivers are up to date.

Neither client nor server logs have any complaints such as "running behind" or "took too long", nor any tick values to be warned about.

Now my question: I've played quiet a bit of minecraft, and it was always a big issue with mods. Some block somewhere would cause tick issues. There are mods that let you track these things, and point out the culprit. Is there anything similar, either built into VS or as a mod, that will ping to see if any specific blocks are building up the FPS drain?

The first question I have is if the FPS is tanking specifically whenever you move your mouse. If it is, the next question I have is what kind of mouse do you have? That's my first suspect as I went through similar issues a while back when upgrading my dinosaur to more modern hardware. It turned out to be a combination of missing a chipset driver update for the motherboard, and the mouse polling being cranked up way too high. I use a Corsair Harpoon and setting the polling to the lowest number seemed to solve the problem.

If not the mouse though, then I'd take a look at the mods. Some mods tend to be more resource-hungry than others, or it could be a conflict or bug somewhere in the particular mod version.

43 minutes ago, LadyWYT said:

The first question I have is if the FPS is tanking specifically whenever you move your mouse. If it is, the next question I have is what kind of mouse do you have? That's my first suspect as I went through similar issues a while back when upgrading my dinosaur to more modern hardware. It turned out to be a combination of missing a chipset driver update for the motherboard, and the mouse polling being cranked up way too high. I use a Corsair Harpoon and setting the polling to the lowest number seemed to solve the problem.

If not the mouse though, then I'd take a look at the mods. Some mods tend to be more resource-hungry than others, or it could be a conflict or bug somewhere in the particular mod version.

Nope. Over the tests I've done, I've just left it running as the active window, and not moved. It just slowly goes from high FPS to about 30 over a period of time.

Sounds like the same Nvidia bug I've encountered. I'll try to find the walkthrough on fixing the stutter but it doesn't matter how powerful the GPU is... ALL Nvidia GPUs seem to have the same issue.

Here it is! I hope it helps you as it helped me.

Edited by StCatharines

6 hours ago, StCatharines said:

Sounds like the same Nvidia bug I've encountered. I'll try to find the walkthrough on fixing the stutter but it doesn't matter how powerful the GPU is... ALL Nvidia GPUs seem to have the same issue.

Here it is! I hope it helps you as it helped me.

Will give it a try and a test, but that sounds like it's a constant stutter, not a FPS drop over time.

2 hours ago, VladSnakeDragon said:

Will give it a try and a test, but that sounds like it's a constant stutter, not a FPS drop over time.

Fingers crossed that it fixes the problem giving you trouble, too! It's been the solution for a decent number of people with modern Nvidia GPUs, far more powerful than needed for running Vintage Story.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.