Potential fix for stuttering (Nvidia cards)

ieatchickens

Hi,

I bought the game yesterday and spent a lot of time trying to fix constant stuttering (regardless of the in-game settings, even the pathetic preset). Looked everywhere, tried everything and almost gave up but I just found a working combo that has completely eleminated the issue:

In-Game settings:

• Max FPS: unlimited
  • V-Sync: off

Nvidia Control Panel:

• Low latency mode: Ultra - default is off.
  • V-Sync: Fast Sync - regular and adaptive didn't work. Off should work too if you don't have fast sync in the options but the screen will tear.
  • FPS limit: 150 - double the refresh rate of my monitor - for fast sync to work and to reduce the GPU usage.
  • Threaded optimization: off - default is auto. I still had some stuttering with it set to auto. Turning it off solved the issue for some reason.

Boom. No more stuttering, high preset. Tested the game for a few minutes in different biomes and there was only one very minor stutter when a new chunk was loading. The FPS graph is almost completely flat now, no huge spikes. I'm so happy, I can finally play this game without being annoyed every ten seconds.

I hope it might be useful to someone.

PC specs for reference:
MB: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS, latest BIOS
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
GPU: Asus TUF GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming OC, latest drivers
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB 3000MHz
SSD: Adata XPG SX8200 Pro
PSU: Corsair RMx 750W

Edited by ieatchickens
  • Like 4
  • Cookie time 2

• 2 years later...

I think it's just called Radeon Software or Radeon Settings or something similar.

But, it doesn't work the same way as the Nvidia Control Panel. Things are named differently, look differently, do different things. It has options that don't exist in the Nvidia Control Panel, and it doesn't have some options that the NCP offers.

For those who fixed their stuttering with these options, it would be interesting to know if there was a single thing that had a major impact for you - or if it was a combination of small gains.

If a single setting had a major impact, that would be a great point for investigation by the dev team.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.