Minor Suggestions or bugs

redram

Thought I'd start a thread for minor stuff I (or anyone) notice while playing. 

1.2.7 - I noticed that water doesn't protect from falls, and when I'm swimming in deep water, if I let myself sink to the bottom it hurts me as if I fell.  Also I can't jump out of water onto land at the same level.  I have to find a water block that has ground immediately below it in order to jump out.  I'm assuming the sinking-falling-damage is probably not intended as the final mechanic.  The other two, I wasn't sure.  I'd at least suggest fixing it so I can get out of deep water on to same-level ground.  The water not protecting from falling, I can understand at least for 1 or less deep water.  But at some point it should stop fall damage.   All these things are kind of relevant to exploring and testing - specifically me taking less damage while running around like a madman, so I thought I'd suggest them now. 

1.2.7 - I've noticed that the firepit is labeled 'stove' in the GUI.  Also, it seems like once the nuggets of metal reach temperature, it takes awhile for them to turn into an ingot.  I feel like maybe the arrow between the nugget and the output slot should be slowly filling to reflect the time that it's taking, but right now, nothing happens.  So zinc for instance, the tooltip says it melts at like, 419 degrees.  But nothing actually happens until you're over 600, which makes it seem like the tooltip is wrong, when in fact it's probably just going through the melting process.

> 1.2.7 - I noticed that water doesn't protect from falls
> and when I'm swimming in deep water, if I let myself sink to the bottom it hurts me as if I fell. 

Yes, the calculations for that are quite odd since the players velocity does not progress in a linear way, so I just checked the distance from the position where the player started jumping.
I've done some experimenting now and created a heuristic that will do some rough fall damage reductions. If you are curious

// Some super rough experimentally determined formula that always underestimates
            // the actual ymotion.
            // lets us reduce the fall damage if the player lost in y-motion during the fall
            // will totally break if someone changes the gravity constant
            double expectedYMotion = -0.041f * Math.Pow(fallDamage, 0.75f) - 0.22f;
            double yMotionLoss = Math.Max(0, -expectedYMotion + withYMotion);
            fallDamage -= 20 * yMotionLoss;

That completely fixes swimming in the water and sinking to the bottom hurting you as well as some rough damage reduction for landing in water. It does not reduce it very strongly for shallow water though.

> Also I can't jump out of water onto land at the same level.  I have to find a water block that has ground immediately below it in order to jump out.  

I just went the minecraft way on this. Not sure whats the right solution here. Perhaps as part of an "advanced player movements" update that makes the player perform certain movement actions in situations like these.

> I'm assuming the sinking-falling-damage is probably not intended as the final mechanic.  

Definitely not ^^

> 1.2.7 - I've noticed that the firepit is labeled 'stove' in the GUI.  Also, it seems like once the nuggets of metal reach temperature, it takes awhile for them to turn into an ingot.  I feel like maybe the arrow between the nugget and the output slot should be slowly filling to reflect the time that it's taking, but right now, nothing happens.

Ok, fixed the title. The arrow behing is slowly filling, but is hardly visible because the fill color is black, i changed it to green now.

Archived