My mad ideas that are generally derided.

bbushh

Hiya. I found Minecraft about 6 years ago and it was the best game experience I had ever had to that point...oddly I found it looking for a game on fighting forest fires and shortly after they nerfed fires....sigh. Unfortunately, the development of MC by the developers and largely the modding community fell far short of what I thought could be done to make it a fascinating game. I am pleased to say Vintagestory seems to be moving in a direction that I believe will make a far superior product. That being said I will naturally venture my thoughts on what would make it special....only my opinion....the developers are doing great without my sass.

1. Mining. I am an advocate of mining being basically unfair....some few areas are rich with many ores and many others have absolutely none. The idea that you can dig anywhere and find everything makes mining a boring chore. If this is so there needs to be ways for players to determine the presence of minerals by other means than tunnels....gold pans, prospectors pick (TerraFirmaCraft), sluice box, npc rumors, surface showings, soil coloration, abandoned mine.....

2. Trees. If there is anything I HATE about all of MC and derivatives is that trees grow ludicrously fast....it should take a couple weeks real time (a month perhaps?) for trees to grow. The fact they grow overnight makes them basically valueless. It would also be cool if they fell with the cutting of the bottom log leaving a stump that was hard to remove.

3. Mobs. I would like to see mobs appear other than by the now silly dynamic of it getting dark.....perhaps there is a goblin village, pride of lions, bridge with a troll, cave dwelling dwarves, trees with spiders (yuck) that are generated initially and occasionally regenerate in dormant areas.

4. Hardware. Things like chests and furnaces in MC are ludicrously overpowered in their effect considering how easy they are to build.....and then you can pick a furnace up and walk away with it! I would like to see these powerful items be more expensive to create and in the case of furnaces be impossible to move and be multi block structures.

5. Carrying capacity. When one considers that a log is one m3 of wood then the player can carry about 80 truckloads of logs on their person (I know this is impossible because I work in the forest industry). I note that VintageStory seems to have rather less carrying capacity which I find to be great.

6. Darkness. I like the fact that when I am playing in game it is so dark I am lost without torches......is it possible to make it so people can't adjust their gamma settings to circumvent this?

7. Economy. It would be awesome to have npc traders that bought items for what I would call an external market (the goods are gone once sold) that adjusts the price according to supply and demand (the demand aspect would probably have to be abstracted).

These are just a few ramblings about what I think would make a cool game.....but they are just my own mad opinions.

Cheerio :)  

14 hours ago, Jdbener said:

Are you implying that you are looking for help?

I'm still somewhat unsure on this one. For one part I would like someone that's very skilled, but on the other hand I would probably need to secure some extra funding to adequatly pay this person. I'm also quite picky when it comes to coding standards.

Perhaps this spring/summer I'll write a project plan and see if I can find new funding sources.

On 1/28/2017 at 1:24 AM, bbushh said:

Trees. If there is anything I HATE about all of MC and derivatives is that trees grow ludicrously fast....it should take a couple weeks real time (a month perhaps?) for trees to grow. The fact they grow overnight makes them basically valueless. It would also be cool if they fell with the cutting of the bottom log leaving a stump that was hard to remove.

I absolutely agree on this!  Besides everything You already mentioned, I like the underlying concept of valuing the resource what nature has to offer. Being able to plan long term ahead is something I always enjoyed when playing games! :)

On 1/28/2017 at 1:24 AM, bbushh said:

Darkness. I like the fact that when I am playing in game it is so dark I am lost without torches......is it possible to make it so people can't adjust their gamma settings to circumvent this?

Yes, I would also like that gamma can't be adjusted! Mainly because of the reason that if I go into cave, I can currently explore the hell out of it without a single torch. That shouldn't be the case. Since there are no mobs around atm and the whole place is safe, gamma doesn't really matter. But when the time comes to play the game with all extras - I imagine nights and caves to get very challenging and scary. Besides all that - torch and all the other light sources are designed to be valuable resource. They loose their value if there is permanently accessible alternative.

Talking about overground: we plan to have moon phases and lightness in night would then depend on it. Empty moon (few days prior and after it) means complete darkness, full moon - player can see well enough to have a hike. What do You think of that? :)

Economy and Mobs:

Very likable ideas! I responded to it in a bit more detailed in another post which shares very similar vision to Yours! :)

Archived