Game responds poorly to Windows UI scaling

Streetwind

Hey, brand-new player here. Started yesterday, was eaten by a wolf within 30 seconds of my first spawn, loving it so far. :)

There's just one issue that I noticed immediately. And that is that the ingame font was hard to read. Like it was extremely poorly rendered. And I am pretty sure that it did not look that way at all when I was looking at screenshots and videos of the game. I spent a lot of time tinkering with the options, including the ingame UI scaling, but it never looked right. The rest of the game wasn't as crisp as I expected either.

After sleeping over it for a night, I found the culprit.

I have a fairly high-DPI screen. 125dpi, compared to the typical 90-100 you get on most desktop monitors. This has profound advantages in games, but it also makes the view outside of games pretty darn tiny. So I've set Windows to 133% UI scale. And this has worked perfectly for me for the past half year since I got this monitor.

Vintage Story, however, does something unexpected: it somehow inherits that UI scale. No other game I have seen does this. They all ignore it completely, and use their own internal scale. Yet when I set my scaling back to 100% in Windows, and then start Vintage Story, the game looks so much better. The text is far smaller, but even so, it is still more readable than before. And I can use the UI settign to adjust the text size to my liking, while keeping it smooth and perfectly clear.

I tried to take screenshots of the effect. This resulted in yet another unexpected behavior. For starters, the text on the screenshot looks much better than it does ingame. I cannot seem to produce an image that is as poorly rendered as what I see when playing. But at the same time, I notice that the screenshot taken with Windows scaling active was captured at 1080p. Meanwhile, the comparison screnshot I took with Windows scaling at 100% was captured at 1440p - which is my native resolution.

The ingame graphics setting for resolution was untouched - reading "100%" in both cases.

So, not only does Vintage Story somehow inherit the Windows scale setting - but it also changes its internal resolution as a result! No wonder my screen looked so bad: what I was looking at was an image rendered at 1080p while unintentionally being messed with by an external scaler, and then poorly interpolated up to my monitor's actual resolution.

Would it be possible for you to tweak the engine so that it no longer pays attention to the Windows scale setting, and always launches at the native resolution?

Can confirm, the text quality is better in windowed mode. However, the game is still working in 1080p internally and giving me an interpolated image. I can easily see this in the dimensions of the screenshots I take. It's basically a tradeoff between somewhat improved (but not optimal) image quality in return for always having the taskbar in my view.

I don't know what you can do either, I'm afraid =/ Game engine programming is way above my paygrade. All I know is that this is the first game I've ever seen reacting this way - so there's got to be something that every other game does different, right?

If there's any additional tests I can do, or other things I might assist you with, I'm happy to help.

Hello guys,

here is a another brand-new player in this pretty world. This game is running in general really nice. Really great job! But unfortunately I have the same problem like @Streetwind (picture in the attachment). I use a iMac 27 inch with Catalina and the game version is 1.12.14.

the letters are sharp and clear to read, but its too tiny to read over a long time. 

I want to join @Streetwind and I would be very happy, If I can support with any tests or something else. 

I wish maximum success and maximum health for everyone here.

Adventurous greetings from Frankfurt (Oder), Germany.

Tim

vers. 1.12.14_resolution problems.png

Edited by Tim Haucke

• 2 months later...
On 3/30/2020 at 12:28 PM, Tyron said:

This is not really an issue with the game itself though. For some reason the windows UI scaling messes with the screen resolution. Not sure what I can do against that.

Can you implement borderless full-screen? I have a 2560x1440 default resolution with 125% Windows UI scaling. Vintage Story fonts and icons all look just absolutely horrendous. I tried different in-game scaling options but none of them appear to fix the issue. This is the only game I've ever encountered this on.

Ohhh @bouchacha and @Streetwind

I just randomly stumbled on a possible fix. Right click the VintageStory.exe, go to Properties, the Compatibility, there click the button "Change High DPI Settings" and select "[X] Use this setting to fix scaling problems ...."

[Edit:] Oh wow okay, I also found a setting i can change so that windows does not mess with the game, so it should work out of the box in v1.13

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 6/6/2020 at 4:55 AM, Tyron said:

Ohhh @bouchacha and @Streetwind

I just randomly stumbled on a possible fix. Right click the VintageStory.exe, go to Properties, the Compatibility, there click the button "Change High DPI Settings" and select "[X] Use this setting to fix scaling problems ...."

[Edit:] Oh wow okay, I also found a setting i can change so that windows does not mess with the game, so it should work out of the box in v1.13

Thanks this worked for me! My laptop works with no hesitation now!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.