enemy repelling candle

Devilofether

It would be nice to be able to mine a big ore vein in peace, but drifters should still be a problem underground; I propose a candle made with temporal gears (1 gear makes 4 candles?) they can only be activated when placed on a block, and will go out if broken or enough time passes (maybe 24 hours?). The candle will repel monsters, and restore some temporal stability (or just mitigate the penalty for being underground, or in an otherwise unstable area). The candle's effect will be weakened during temporal storms, it wont stop drifters from attacking you, but it will stop them from spawning next to the candle. What do you guys think?

• Like 1

I'm in favour of anything that makes the game more playable, and something like this would be good. But, I don't think it should use temporal gears. There's no need. There is plenty of flora that could act as a deterrent. You just have to come up with a Lore friendly way of working it. Scented candles have been around for millennia for this exact purpose.

Crushing 16x of a certain flower in a Quern (A mortar and pestle would be better, if added) gives 1x "Floral Powder", so "Floral Powder (Catmint)", or "Floral Powder  (Eidelwiess)". These could then be used in a recipe with beeswax to make Scented Candles or with animal fat and a bowl to make Scented Oil Lamps. Catmint might ward off animals, where other flowers may ward off Drifters. It just depends on the Lore.

Not much has been made of the so-called "Lovecraftian" side of the game yet. When I first saw the premise of the game, I thought, "An entire game built around Abyssalcraft, that sounds amazing", but there's nothing really Lovecraftian in the game at all. Developing that side of the game, even as a mod, you could introduce talismen, and totems, as personal and area-effect (respectively) wards.

Edited by ApacheTech
  • Like 1
  • Cookie time 1

all amazing Ideas, I just thought temporal gears since they already have the ability to restore temporal stability; I was also thinking they should be rare, or else there would be nothing to fear from drifters, and temporal gears also tick that box, and it also provides a use for gears lying around in your storage. I just wanted to present my reasoning.

• Cookie time 1

This should be a fairly common thing though. Repellents and deterrents have been used for millennia, and temporal gears would play better in the Lovecraftian side of the game, rather than stuff that is purely based within reality, like repellents. Maybe the temporal gears could be used to create a personal talisman that wards predators away from the player. That's more in keeping with the Lovecraftian lore of the game. Something like a natural animal repellent should be available early in the game. One use I'd love to see Temporal Gears used for is with a Chest, to create a Temporal Chest; essentially an Ender Chest.

• Cookie time 1

If we're going with a lovecraftian theme, how about an elder sign scratched into a temporal gear? This means that the gear would be unable to be used for other purposes, and presumably be used up whilst repelling enemies.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.