Blacksmithing 2.0

Jdbener

So I was watching an abridged anime the other day when I stumbled upon this scene:

Spoiler

And it got the gears in my head spinning a bit... asking if there was a way to take RedRam’s smithing idea which has garnished VS so much interest and make both the game and the mechanic more interesting. 

As it stands now, there is a single tool which can be used to swap between all the smithing "moves." In reality, a smith would use a different tool for each action he wanted to perform. With this suggestion, I'm not suggesting removing the current multi-tool. That tool is a great way for people to learn how to use the smithing system without having to deal with a lot of extra parts. With that said, the current system will begin to fall flat in the late game, there is no real reason to continue smithing once you have all the tools you need, no real reason to dedicate time into mastering the skill, and once all(most) of the "move" patterns have been memorized: no real challenge to the system anymore.

To fix these problems I would propose adding a new set of tools, one for each "move." Then adding a rhythm system where you have to make your moves according to a certain rhythm to get an improved chance at improved stats (bunny hopping off of Eric's suggestions). However, this type of rhythm system would be difficult to balance, since players have to keep track of performing all of the moves in the right order in the right place at the right time. Which is why I would suggest that there not be a penalty for playing out of rhythm instead rewarding them for playing the game the hard way. This could take the form of a system where every successfully timed move adds to a combo meter, which resets whenever the player misses a beat. At the end the more beats a player hits successfully the less of a random multiplier will be applied to the tools stats. Missing all of the beats would lead to a completely random result while hitting all of the beats would give a flat value considered to be the "best".  Additionally,  the player's highest combo would determine how much of a slight added bonus will be added to the tools quality. This creates a system where if you take your time or are learning you have a fair chance at making a good tool, at the same time skilled smiths could increase (possibly a linear interpolate) the quality of their tool; while also ensuring that a skilled smith will always be able to make a slightly better tool than a lucky player.

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Tyron said:

Basically turn smithing or improved smithing into a timing game. I think first we should try out the fully realized smithing vision that redram had, that might be already pretty good.

Not necessarily turning it into a timing game... more along the lines of adding a timing game as an extra function for roleplayer's to master. And you are probably right. 

Archived