Why are lag spikes common these days?

Conquest of Blocks

Seems like most servers, including ours, got lots of lag spikes since some time. Not all the time, but often. Can get worse if more than 1 player is on the server, but even with only one player it happens. Tested it on certain servers. Wasn't like that some weeks ago. Maybe @Tyron can look into this. Sometimes they happen unregularly, sometimes theres 1 bigger spike every 8-10 seconds or so. Changing settings in servermagicnumbers or somewhere else doesn't seem to help as well as upgrading to better hardware.

I'm aware of one source - the autosave system. On very large worlds, like the public test server, the autosave causes some 1-2 seconds of lag. I still need to find ways to prevent that lag. Until then you can try lowering the autosave intervall to see if that helps.

One other I am aware of is many creatures and items on the ground - on that front I've now doubled the performance for their physics simulation, that might help.

But your source of lag might not be either of those - you can narrow it down with /debug logticks 60

• Like 1

The autosave interval was already set to 15 minutes, so i guess that wont be the cause. Regarding many items and creatures, i noticed the lag spikes are more common in areas that are populated with player structures, items and animals. I already suspected this as a cause. Still i find it strange that the spikes appear excactly every 8 seconds or so. Even if i remove lots of animals with /entity remove, we never get really rid of them for long. Ill run the debug command as soon as i have the time for it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.