Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Had an idea pop in my head about a Vintage Story club at my school. Turns out the founding process is straightforward if you can get a dozen or so people on board with the idea.
It's pretty easy to frame this game around the perspective of academics and the arts, no doubt about that. The creative tools available to students, the potential to simulate society (economics, politics, etc.) and survival challenges (metalworking, crop rotation, etc.) leave plenty of opportunity to use Vintage Story as a teaching tool or a mental exercise; at least, we can tell this to the people in charge of funding clubs.

Would you join a club whose purpose is to play Vintage Story and examine its gameplay/worldbuilding and use the game as a creative outlet? What would you hope to get out of a Vintage Story club?

  • Like 2
Posted

I myself would really enjoy sharing a Vintage Story world with other students, sharing builds, resources, and whatnot.
Maybe we could form some kind of government or organize club meetings in-game.

Posted

It's not too late to get some people together to play a server once you're out of university, though. Plenty of coworkers at my last internship were avid gamers and they would probably play with me if I provided some game keys.

Posted (edited)

I doubt I would. I'm not that social to start with, and in my general experience clubs are very hit-or-miss. They can easily be a place to find people with the same interests and make new friends, but they can also just as easily be places that are rife with bullying, toxic positivity, and other bad behavior.

9 hours ago, Jacsmac said:

the potential to simulate society (economics, politics, etc.)

Keeping in mind that politics are a touchy subject, and a subject that easily gets incredibly heated in the present day. I honestly don't see this kind of thing working out very well.

9 hours ago, Jacsmac said:

plenty of opportunity to use Vintage Story as a teaching tool or a mental exercise; at least, we can tell this to the people in charge of funding clubs.

Right, you can tell all that to the people in charge of the funding. However, if that's just the excuse to get funding and not the actual reason the club exists...I'm not sure that would go over too well with the ones providing funding or other clubs who are genuinely trying to provide academic opportunities. At the very least, if I were contributing money to a club under the pretext that it's for academics, I wouldn't be very happy to find out the club is actually just students hanging out and playing videogames. Same goes for being part of an academic club competing for the same funding--I wouldn't be very happy if my club didn't get the funding it needed while a club that's just about playing videogames got all the funding it asked for.

Edit: It's probably the kind of thing that, if it's going to be a thing, would work better as a computer science club, where members can hone their coding skills by creating mods for various games/attempt to make their own games, rather than a club for a specific game. 

Edited by LadyWYT
  • Like 2
Posted
On 8/21/2026 at 12:31 PM, LadyWYT said:

It's probably the kind of thing that, if it's going to be a thing, would work better as a computer science club, where members can hone their coding skills by creating mods for various games/attempt to make their own games, rather than a club for a specific game. 

I like this idea very much. More people would certainly join a Modding club, and club members could mod games they already own without having to buy or download new stuff.
 

 

On 8/21/2026 at 12:31 PM, LadyWYT said:

Keeping in mind that politics are a touchy subject, and a subject that easily gets incredibly heated in the present day. I honestly don't see this kind of thing working out very well.

Don't worry, I wouldn't intend for people to debate over the current political theater in a club like this. I think it would be more adequate to say that students would potentially simulate a legislative body and practice implementing rules that fuel resource management and the player economy, as well as a judiciary body that would settle disputes in a civil, engaged manner. Politics as a word just means the activities associated with a governing body; most university students I have met are able to keep disagreements civil, especially in a club setting.

 

On 8/21/2026 at 12:31 PM, LadyWYT said:

However, if that's just the excuse to get funding and not the actual reason the club exists...

Left to their own, I think club members might fall into a habit of not taking the academic aspects seriously. This is a valid concern. I think having physical meetings centered on the academic aspects of Vintage Story could reel things back in and give the club more purpose.



I'm sorry that your past experiences with clubs haven't been so great. I totally understand what it's like to have high expectations swept away by subpar behavior. Hopefully things are better now at your current chapter in life. 
And, I didn't mean to give off the impression that a theoretical Vintage Story club would be half-assed. I am very passionate about organizations I am part of and would make sure that other club leaders and members are as passionate as me. Regardless, I feel like it's best to keep this Vintage Story club idea off-the-table for now though. I'll wait and see if the number of sales blows up enough to be as reasonable as a TOBG club.

  • Like 1
Posted

You might have a hard time starting a VS club from scratch, but chances are your university has a minecraft club. You could join it, work your way up the ladder, and then find a way to introduce a VS server as a sort of secondary side thing under the minecraft club umbrella.

I've been trying to spread the good word of VS among my fellow students. Problem is, we're all in engineering, and therefore have precious little free time during semesters. People with limited time to relax are not as likely to try new games as they are to play ones they already own.

I do believe though that the depth of VSs systems has an appeal for engineering students. Either that, or they would prefer an escape from that sort of thing.

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.