Different Resolution Setting

Ryan Nienhuis

I got a new 4k monitor, and Vintage Story runs like crap with 4k resolution.  Putting the resolution scale lower does help, but it still runs bad, and looks awful.  I can get much better performance if I manually set windows to a lower screen resolution before running the game.  Perfect performance.  And not only that, but the graphics are WAY better.  Much much clearer.  Would it be possible to include a normal screen resolution setting, like most other games have?  That way I wouldn't need to be changing the resolution in windows all the time.  

There is currently an issue that results in screwy graphics if you use the built-in Windows UI scaling. And I expect that, since you have a 4K resolution screen, you must be relying heavily on scaling up the UI to keep it usable.

See here.

I can however tell you that it is going to be fixed in 1.13. I've confirmed the fix works in the prerelease builds. So stay patient a little while longer while the gamebreaking bugs in the new features are being ironed out. As a temporary workaround, you can play the game in windowed mode, which is much less affected.

Thanks!  This might have been happening.  It would explain why everything looked so bad.  It wasn't the reason for my low performance, though.  I just now figured that one out. I spent a long time tweaking settings in both the game and my video drivers.  It took a while, but I fixed it.  I had set the Max FPS to 60, because that's the maximum my monitor can do.  The game is all sorts of jerky at that setting.  For some reason, If I set it to 75 the game runs really smoothly. But it goes back to being jerky if I set it too much higher.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Ryan Nienhuis

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.