Drifters

LegoDruid

Hello!

I am having trouble with Drifters in caves: there are so many of them, and they respawn as quickly as I cut them down.

Often, I can't get past a cave's first wide open / dark area: Drifters set on me, and while I can hold them off (losing HPs and durability on my spear), I can't beat them back and delve further.

I have leather armour and a black bronze spear. 

When possible, I retreat to stairs that I've cut into the cave wall and place a block behind me to create a two-block-tall barricade to defend. The Drifters will pull back after I hit them a few times, and so I remove the block and give chase to finish them off. However, as soon as I clear the group that attacked me, more Drifters turn up and another fight starts. Low on HPs and with my spear about to shatter, I break off and flee the cave.

I bring fence segments to set up a perimeter around an ore deposit so that I can keep the Drifters off me while I mine. But I can rarely stay in a cave long enough to find anything!

Am I doing this wrong?

To start at the end... In my experience, caves are not the best way to find ore. They can be nice to explore and sometimes you find something, and, with the rock exposed, it's quick and easy to use the propick. But it's just too much a matter of luck to find anything while just running around in caves, let alone the ore you were looking for. Sometimes you find massive caves with probably thousands of blocks exposed and there's nothing but some quartz, which would be a lot easier to mine from a cliff above ground or when you just dug down from a spot where you found a lot of quartz stones on the ground.

But to make things a little easier in caves, I'd recommend bringing a lot of torches to light up your way and areas where you want to stay for some time. If you don't do that, drifters can even block your way out of your own brand-new mine that was totally free of drifters when you dug your way down. ;)

And unless you're in a safe spot where they can't reach you, use a longblade instead of a spear. It's much faster.

I'll try the longblade. I like the spear for 1:1 fights, but the drifter encounters resemble nothing so much as saloon brawls; maybe the longblade can swat them back.

I don't want to give up on the caves! They're beautiful and interesting, and I like spelunking for translocators and ancient loot.

I'm experimenting with the settings in the drifter.json asset file: reducing mob size while still keeping the drifters a distinct threat.

The drifters don't seem quite right. Above ground, they're just a nuisance: easily avoided or picked off singly. Underground, they're an impassible mob, effectively pushing the caves off limits. Doesn't seem right; I hope the devs tweak them into a more engaging environmental factor.

The best way to handle large mobs is to light up the immediate area you are in completely, then dig a hole in the wall to fit yourself in. Place a ladder in front of the hole. The drifters will think that they can get in, but they will all get stuck on the ladder where you can hit them freely. It's not an exciting fight, but you wont need high tier equipment.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.